Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My husbands stent had been in since sept 2016 but was

Customer Question

My husbands stent had been in since sept 2016 but was misplaced and so caused engorgement from urine of the right kidney, half way down the right ureter and the area where he had had cancer at the entrance to the bladder on the right. We all gazed on the triple MRI scan. We were told that my husband could have the bladder out or have Radiotherapy at Jimmys in Leeds over 20 sessions in the month of April which happened. In August it took four operations to get the stent out which had been in since Sept 2016, including an Nephrostomy. After that my husband suffered at home with terrible unsteadiness and fell 15 times. I learned that this was because of infections. I then delivered urine samples after the end of every course of Antibiotics and a different antibiotic was given until he had just one infection. It is December 29th and I have been informed that he still has white blood corpuscles and now pus in his urine. How can I help my husband out of the place. He is due to have the stent out in February 2018, but can he get rid of this last horrible hurdle before the operation and how can I help him? He is 74 and I am a year and I am a little younger. ***** *****
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you help me to help my husband?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I WOULD RSTHER TYPE.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I WOULD RATHER TYPE.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am waiting for you to respond. I have already paid £38.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you a Urologist?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you there?

what tests has he had to determine why?

did they check to see if he is emptying his bladder all the way?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has always emptied his bladder and had 4 years of ops to take out cancer using cystoscopy. After the last one they left it 6 months and then found the kidney and ureters bloated with urine on 14th Feb 2017. They could not operate like this so did the Radiotherapy in April 2017 and then took the stent out half way through August 2017 after 4 attempts and the last one replaced the stent. After this my husband suffered massive infections at home.

So what is the current thinking as to why he is getting recurrent infections

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
NO. Can you not reply here? I have already paid £38.

Yes, I asked a follow up question

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The infections never stopped and were because of the 4 operations, once with cystoscopy, the next a nephrostomy, of which he, my husband was very afraid. That did not work, so they tried again using the nephrostomy AND the cytoscope, and failed again and then finally they got it out and another stent in after three weeks. The stent must have a lot of calcification on it for this to be so difficult, but the surgeon said the ureter was still viable. I have not seen any MRIs of the state of the right kidney and ureter and whether the swelling came down, but I found out that none of it should have been working after so long- eleven months! I believe that these ops gave rise to mass infections which all but one has been got rid of by trying many different antibiotics over 4 months. Now he has pus as well.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You have not said anything. What did I pay my £38 for?

I am trying to gather information. This is clearly a very complex situation

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would rather contact on here by typing.

No problem

So the issue is recurrent urine infections

But I believe it is because he isn't emptying urine

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My husband empties his bladder without any problem. The reason the urine backed up was because the stent had become misplaced and was sticking out of the top of the kidney. I saw it and drew it afterwards many times. This caused the heuronteronephrosis. Because he had had cancer the people in charge had to made sure the cancer was zapped with Radiotherapy before proceeding any further; but they had left the stent in too long and now it is still producing bacteria and pus. This is the first report of pus ever told to me a few days ago. My husband is supposed to have another op to replace the stent in February 2018, but I am having trouble booking an appointment. Will try on 2nd January to get an appointment
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This last part of getting unsteady and falling down went on for two months and when most of the infection went he got some strength back but still has one more infection to get rid of.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you going to answer me or not? What have I paid £38 for?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was told that you had answered but I have not got an answer yet.

I am wondering how I can help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What I want to know is how I can help my husband. I do not think any operation to replace the stent will take place if he still has an infection.

they will do the stent if he has an infection

a common reason to replace a stent IS infection

Thanks for this question

I strive for 5 star service with all customers

If you have more questions, just reply. :)