Dr. David
Dr. David, Physician Experienced in Urology
Experience:  Board Certified Physician with extensive experience in Urology
41363181

38 Male Father and Grandfather both had prostate cancer in

38 Male
Father and Grandfather both had prostate cancer in the 60s/70s.Last April, I started having the sensation that I needed to wee a lot (It felt like a strange sensation in the tip of my penis) I also started experiencing some dribble after going to the bathroom (not a lot but enough to be annoying). When I went to the bathroom it didn’t seem to relieve the urge/sensation. After a few weeks, I saw a GP. I explained the family history and he did a DRE. He said that my prostate felt ‘on the large side’ but felt smooth/normal on the side that he could feel. As it wasn’t my usual GP, he took urine and blood and told me to speak to my GP for results.I spoke with my GP on the phone a week or so later, he said urine test and blood came back normal (I can’t remember my exact PSA but it was less than 0.5). My GP said that in his opinion DREs are subjective so it was probably ok (he hasn’t examined me himself). He did however arrange a bladder ultrasound at the local hospital. The ultrasound was done by a sonographer who said she thought this was an inappropriate scan for my symptoms, but that everything looked normal and I was able to empty my bladder fully. She also said that from what she could see my prostate looked normal.Symptoms seemed to subside for a time over the summer and then I had problems again in the autumn. I spoke with my GP over the phone again, he said that my symptoms were pretty minor and he thought I had a tight bladder neck?. He prescribed some Diffundox which he said I could keep to take if things got worse.I continue to ongoing problems with minor dribbling after I go to the bathroom (my main gripe) and I still get the sensation I need to wee on and off, especially after I’ve had a poo in the mornings. I’ve always needed to get up for a wee in the night, but I’ve noticed over the last 10 months that I often wake up with the sensation that I need to go, but when I do go, it’s not much.
I’m not sure whether I’m worrying unnecessarily or whether I should go back to my GP and ask to see a urologist. My underlying concern is that there could be something going on with my prostate, but at the same time don’t want to be a hypochondriac considering my PSA was normal last year. I had the dribbling issue for a while a few years ago and it seemed to self-resolve after a time, but it’s been ongoing sees April last year now.Is there anyway something like haemorrhoids cause this? I also seem to get the urge to go to the loo (no.2) in the evenings (but don’t really need to when I sit down to go).

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having these symptoms.

drinking alcohol, not enough water, spicy foods, caffeine can all cause irritation of your bladder, more frequent and urgent urinations.

bad anxiety symptoms can cause nervous bladder symptoms and more frequent urinations as well.

it sounds like all of your testing is normal.

and that you don't have to be worried about your penis and urination. you should work on eating healthier and exercising more regularly

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeh, thanks I'm probably over analysing it. The dribbling is just a bit of a pain. I've got a good diet, my BMI is good but I have an office job so sit for long period of time.I'm not overly anxious, but was a little worried about this given the family history.

I see.

you are young. I would not worry about your symptoms pointing to prostate cancer.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com