Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I’ve had a urethroplasty with buccal mucosa graft.

Customer Question

I’ve had a urethroplasty with buccal mucosa graft. Apparently it’s gone very well and I’m due to have a urethrogram and have my catheters removed in 2 weeks.It’s been 10 days after surgery and whilst I have smoked 2-3 cigarettes a day before the op, I haven’t had any since.I am craving one now but I am concerned about my graft and how badly 1/2 cigarettes at the weekend may effect me, Can a urologist shed some light?Lastly, I’m only 28, so I’m very concerned about recorrance, this is my first urethroplasty and I would very much rather not have another. Any tips to keep my urethra nice and healthy would be much appreciated.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 7 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Smoking is very very bad for the graft

the graft's success depends on the migration of millions of microscopic blood vessels and nerves

the graft will fail if these fail and the worst possible thing for tiny blood vessels is smoking

avoid it at ALL costs

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!