Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

Back in December I had visible blood in my urine, the

hi, back in December I had visible blood in my urine, the cultures come back negative, they sent my urine of for cytology which come back with no cancer cells found, I had ultra sound of bladder and kidneys which was all fine, the visible blood did go but at times when it's dipped it shows either non or up to 3+ and the urine is cloudy at times, kidney function on blood test and liver is fine, I had cystoscopy which was clear and they sen the for ct which was clear I have the report that I can send over. so what can be causing the blood when dipped (not visible)
Welcome to JA. I am Dr.Tharun and will help you with your question today.
Can you specify your age and gender?
Do you smoke ?
Do you take any blood thinners?
Do you have any medical illness?
Please let me know.
DrCustomer
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
33 female. stopped smoking 4 years ago had about 20 since then but not in last year, I'm on citalopram but that was from the start of last month, I have depression anxiety and polycystic overies
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have my ct report

Have you done a urine microscopy after this ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what is that

Regular urine test in a LAB rather than a dip test.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they sent it off and it come back with negative cultures they also sent one off to look for cancer cells which was negative

Repeated recently ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but still shows blood when dipped
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm scared that there's a cancer that has been missed
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is that possible with all the tests I've had
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've had us off kidneys twice and bladder

It has to be confirmed with a normal urine test in a lab to see for RBCS in the urine. If it is in normal range , then there is nothing to worry till you have a repeat episode of the visible blood.

It is common experience to see all the tests returning normal in a case of hematuria. Every test possible has been done in your case. If there is something at microscopic level these tests may not detect it yet. Usually these tests stay valid for 6 years once done unless the symptoms recur or there is worsening of symptoms.

Best option is keep a close follow up with your doctor and repeat the tests at the earliest indication.

If you have any questions, please let me know/

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is a chance I have cancer
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if it was microscopic would it cause blood in urine thay early

If the investigations cannot find it , it is not there practically. If its microscopic then less likely to cause bleed.

But once blood in urine appears , carcinoma should be always in the back of the mind - hence the follow up.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they havnt give me no follow up I'm so scares. it's caused me to have health anxiety

Six monthly urine tests(LAB) are good enough. Drink plenty of water. No need to worry about a non existent problem at present. You and your doctor have done the best possible tests.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is this a slow growing cancer
My opinion is that there is no cancer to diagnose.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what can be reason for non visible blood in urnie
You have to do a lab urine test to confirm that it is microscopic blood.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have in past
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
also put it through urinalysis macheine at work
These are all automated machines. I am not denying them. But one lab test with clean mid stream catch would be recommended.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thank you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what if that was to cone back with blood as the macheine suggest? my urologist has assured me there is no reason for it in all my test but what could be the reason
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
could it be coming from vagina?
Any contamination can cause false positive results
Some individuals can have chronic micro hematuria of unknown origin if there is no obvious cause found. Sometimes it is idiopathic.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can i ask I had a ct and xray of lumber as I fell down stairs would my bladder and bowel have shown in this? also I had urine dip done yesturday as ? uti and no blood come up is this a good sign? as if it was something bad it would be there all the time?

Definitely it is a good sign( No blood).

Ct if limited to Spine- may have different window setting - bowel and bladder may not be targeted properly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's not there everytime and I was wondering if it could be coming from abrasion I have on my cervix

Carefully taken urine sample will rule out this possibility. Urethral opening is much lower than the cervix. So freshly taken mid stream urine will not have this contamination.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this is what I did with that last urine dip
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i just want reassurance that all the test I've had can't have missed something sinister

As of now , we haven't missed anything.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi i had an8ther test done today as I have pain in bladder and feeling if waiting to go to toilet. it come back with just a trace of blood init which gp is sending of but I'm in alot of pain

Did it have pus cells in it or signs of infection.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just trace of blood
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ph was 7 everything else negative apart from blood intact trace

Then we should look for non infective causes of bladder pain - like interstitial cystitis , chronic pelvic pain syndrome.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've paid for a consultatiin with a private urologist tomorrow. obviously I habe the fear that theu may have missed a small cancer but is there anything you recommend I ask

You can discuss NMP22 , FISH and Cell free DNA/ NA in urine/ blood. These are non invasive way of screening for urothelial cancers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what are they blood tests?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i had a cytology done on urine is that any off those

These are blood / urine tests.

It is not urine Cytology .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
would these have shown in routine bloods? or are they a special blood.

They are experimental and not yet routine - initial results are promising.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
in your opinion do you think I need to be worried about cancer

You don't have to worry - that has never helped anyone. Just don't turn a blind eye - be alert and keep follow up.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you dont think it's something I have right now but can't guarantee the futur so keep an eye like I do for pap smear

That's the best we can do in the present era.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hi i see the urologist who rechecked all my tests and put my mind at rest I did forget to ask though during ct of urinary tract would it have shown my adrenal glands
CT will show the adrenals.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you for all you help and reassurance
I am glad I could help you.