DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

I've recently been diagnosed with HPV and failed to get

Customer Question

I've recently been diagnosed with HPV and failed to get sufficient information after receiving the lab results.The whole ordeal started while I was working in Spain when I noticed 5-6 small lesions (1 mm in diameter, flesh colored, slightly raised) around the base of my penis. I scheduled an appointment and confirmed with the Spanish Urologist that they were likely HPV caused lesions so we sent a sample to the lab and I treated the lesions with Wartec (5 mg/ml podophyllotoxin solution) which got rid of the lesions in 5 days.The official lab results came in a few weeks later and read as:
"Method: PCR (Molecular Hybridization)
The types of HPV are detected: 16,18,31,33,35,39,45,51,52,56,58,59,66,68 considered epidemiologically as high risk oncogenic, at clinically relevant levels of infection.
High risk HPV detection: POSITIVE"I received these results from a Spanish lab but was unable to attend the follow-up appointment. I reached out via email and the Urologist said that a vaccine might be a good idea, but I already have left the country and am continuing to work abroad, making healthcare appointments really difficult.I really would love some insight on a few things. Firstly, am I highly contagious for any sexual partner, even when using a condom? Am I contagious whether or not I have lesions? What are the rates of HPV caused cancer in women? What is the general survival rate of HPV caused cancer in women? Will I be contagious forever or will my body eventually suppress the virus and render me non-contagious?Moving forward, what are the general best practices? Would a vaccine be effective for me, or is there an advantage to receiving one?This whole situation has been extremely stressful and I've been feeling totally lost. I look forward to hearing your response.Thank you,
Nick
Category: Urology
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 30 days ago.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** your query, will be replying in few seconds please. DrVasavada

Nick, condom may help you prevent infecting the partner only if penetration remains halfway. Female should preferably have taken vaccine. You may also take a vaccine which may boost your antibody level and prevent virus from persisting in system.

With modern surveillance of cancer cervix in ladies, cancer gets detected and treated very early and chances of cure are excellent.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Am I contagious only during an outbreak with lesions or at all times? Is there a particular vaccine that addresses the specific types of HPV that I carry? How long can I expect the virus to persist in my system with or without the vaccine?

Yes with condom & partial entry you are safe. Vaccine available may not cover all, but have to accept despite. Rest of types may persist for ever.