Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am on the mini pill. My period used to be regular

Customer Question

I am on the mini pill. My period used to be regular beforehand, about every 5 weeks. But since I bleed most days and only stop for a day or so in between. I’ve been taking the pill for just over 3 months and it hasn’t settled down at all
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I saw the a 2 months into starting the pill and they said it’s usual for the first 3 months and I take no medication
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I get migraines which is why I’m on the mini pill but haven’t taken instant medication for it for over 6 months ago
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 13 days ago.

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 13 days ago.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 13 days ago.

May I ask some quick questions to help me give you the best answer today:

- How old are you?

- What is your height and weight?

- Do you smoke?

- What is the name of your mini pill?

- Ideally, what would you like to do about it?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m 18, I’m 5”10 and weigh about 60kg. I don’t smoke, take cerazette mini pill. Ideally I would like my periods to become more regular. I am on it because of migraines but they are stress related so would I still be able to take the combined pill. I’m also concerned that the bleeding could be caused by intercourse.
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 13 days ago.

Okay, thank you.

Please can you tell me exactly what your migraines are/were like? In particular, whether you get any warning prior to the headache such as visual disturbance etc.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I got tunnel vision and flashing lights
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The pain started behind one of my eyes and it would travel further back lasting 4hours or more usually
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But I haven’t had a serious migraine attack since December last year
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 13 days ago.

Sadly, if you have ever suffered with that type of ‘migraine with aura/focal migraine’ then the combined pill cannot be used. There is a very small, but significant risk of stroke.

I thin the best option may be to switch to an alternative mini-pill such as Noriday. This has a lower dose of Progesterone so you should experience a different (hopefully more favourable) bleeding pattern with it. An important difference is that you need to take it strictly within a 3 hour window every day though.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 13 days ago.

Does this help?

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 10 days ago.

Just a courtesy follow up as I didn’t hear back from you.

Did this answer your question?

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?