Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice
Experience:  Years of experience with general surgery and urgent care
18722459

I’m not sure I’m in right section of website. I have some

Hello. I’m not sure I’m in right section of website. I have some questions about a possible STI infection
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Not yet. I intend to attend my local GUM clinic but there are public holidays here so it’s not open until next week. I’d just like some advice
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was recently treated for syphilis.

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
What's your question please?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello. I was recently treated for syphilis. Last treatment was approximately 3/4 weeks ago. I’ve noticed what I think may be symptoms of a re-infection but the timings don’t really correlate to what I’ve read online. I had sex 2 weeks after final treatment. A spot developed on the bottom of my lip at the end of last week. It’s healing now but still there. Today I have noticed red blotches on my skin on my arms and chest. If I had syhphilis would these symptoms appear simultaneously?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
also would the symptoms (potential chancre and rash) both appear 2 weeks after infection? As I said, the rash is blotchy red patches. It doesn’t look like the images online but I’m conscious symptoms can appear differently for different people.

Could you please first post some pictures of that for me on this page?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The picture of my lip isn’t great, I apologise. When it first appeared last week it looked like a white-head spot. It now looks more like s healing cold sore

Got them--hold on please

Any itching with that?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No pain or itching. I noticed it on my chest in the shower and thought I’d just been sitting funny or leaning against something. Then noticed it on my arms too

The lip spot is just a simple little aphthous ulcer--not herpes or a sign on syphilis

The other rashes look nothing like those of syphilis--that's basically an allergic dermatitis even if it doesn't itch

And the trigger for that is sometimes difficult to determine

You can treat that with some Claritin or Zyrtec and topical Caladryl lotion

Bot***** *****ne here--I see nothing at all that signals syphilis

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. You have reassured me. From what I’ve read a syphilis rash wouldn’t appear so soon after infection. I think I’m just hyper-vigilant because of my recent infection and treatment. I think I’ll get tested anyway to be safe but you’ve stopped me from being as stressed as I was earlier so thank you very much.

No it wouldn't usually the secondary syphilis rash occurs many months later

My pleasure to help and call on me anytime