Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, M.D.
Experience:  30 years of primary care medicine including urology evaluation
19706630

I have been with my girlfriend a while now. When I got with

Hi,I have been with my girlfriend a while now.
When I got with her initially I received chlamydia from her as a result of a past relationship.
She is pregnant and I have received chlamydia from her again.
Is it possible that her chlamydia came back on its own?
it is possible. No antibiotic regimen for chlamydia is 100% curative. That’s why we repeat the culture three months after treatment. So if she wasn’t cured the last time, the organism could have survived all of this time.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there any way for me to ensure that this is the same case of chlamydia and is not a new case as a result of infidelity?
The only way would be to compare the culture and sensitivity results from last time to now. Not all labs do a detail antibiotic sensitivity test so that information may not be available.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK.
So can my girlfriend have a test done on her chlamydia in order to prove that it is the same chlamydia as last time?
You would have to contact the lab that did the first culture to see if it’s the same organism as now. The old and the new cultures have to be compared by the antibiotic sensitivities. That’s the only way. If she didn’t have a followup culture last time, it’s quite possible that the chlamydia remained dormant all of this time.
Do you follow me?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. Very helpful
You’re welcome. I’d appreciate you rating my answers with the stars on your screen so I receive feedback and credit. Thanks