How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Osula Your Own Question
Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, Doctor
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 402
Experience:  MB ChB DRCOG
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Anthony Osula is online now

My 9 year old son has pain when he urinate and this has been

This answer was rated:

Hello, my 9 year old son has pain when he urinate and this has been more than a week, the urin test doesn’t show any infection neither the blood test what can be the cause please help

Hi, I'm Dr Osula, thank for your question.

In that case, there are two possibilites - either a stone trapped in the tube inside the penis or inflammation of the tube itself (Urethritis)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is complaining about a sharp pain on the tip of his penis, mostly the pain and he has difficulty go to the toilet passing urine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are on the wait to see the urologist but at the mean time what do you suggest to stop the pain please?

Ok, if its suspected kidney stone he's passing through it can present like that, the options to help with the pain for now is to take ibuprofen and give him lots and lots of fluid.

For urethritis, I'm not sure if this will be as effective as usually treated with antibiotics and needs a swab of inside the penis but this usually present throught the penis as opposed to the tip.

Another possibility is a narrow tube but the urologist can do a camera test for this and widen the tube again if so

if its a stone, lots of fluids would help to flush it out. You can try cranberry juice for him as well to see if it helps with pain.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All the things you mentioned i did, lots of fluids cranberry juice, and last week he has been prescribed antibiotic although the urine sample was clear, but still he finished the course, they have checked his blood for his kidney functions they say all is fine, no idea what to do for my poor kid

There is another test but its kind of outdated, it can be done in A+E

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Which test?

its a dye test that looks for the flow of dye through the urinary tract to see if there's any obstruction by doing xrays. It's called an IVU but I dont think they'll want to do it in a child. Best test really is a cystoscopy which is the camera test but only done by urology and usually needs anaesthetic.

I'll say if he's in pain and urology is a long wait, then take him to A+E, they really should treat him urgently

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I took him to A+E twice, they’re just saying i have to wait for the specialist to see him, no help from them :(

The only other option then, would be to either make sure he has been referred as urgent or to see a urologist privately as you cant really diagnose without further tests

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you suggest any best urologist around London area, as when I search there are too many not sure which one to choose

Yes thats a tough one, You are right as they are all good. I dont know any of them personally but I know HCA healthcare has some of the top urologists

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much I’ll have a look

Here is a link

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you

Another site you can try is Doctify which gives your ratings from other patients*****************

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That’s great, thank you so much

No worries, please provide feedback ratings if happy with my serice and feel free to ask further questions in future

Anthony Osula and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You’ve been big help I’ll rate thank you