How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Physician Experienced in Urology
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 58631
Experience:  Board Certified Physician with extensive experience in Urology
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

I am a 72 year old male who has suffered intermittently from

This answer was rated:

I am a 72 year old male who has suffered intermittently from kidney stones since my twenties. I saw an NHS consultant urologist on 12 July 2019. He said I had a 12mm stone in my right kidney. He expected to be able to carry out a procedure to remove this 3-6 months from my consultation. Yesterday I started suffering renal colic on my left side, with associated pain, mild fever and shivers. I am drinking lots of water and taking ibuprofen and the pain seems to be reducing and moving from my left side towards the centre of my abdome, but I have not passed any stones. I propose to contact the consultant urologist (rather than my GP) tomorrow. Am I doing the right thing?
JA: The Urologist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: Acute today, but longstanding
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Heart attack in 2000, right knee replacement 2011.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you are doing the right thing

it sounds like the stone is moving down into your bladder

you may be able to urinate it out

keep drinking water

you should buy over the counter Azo or pyridium which can help numb up your bladder and kidney to decrease pain. it turns your urine orange colored. it should be over the counter at your drug store.

Dr. David and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your response. I will contact my consultant tomorrow

you are welcome

thanks for the positive feedback

thanks for using