Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, Doctor
Experience:  MB ChB DRCOG
106915327

I had symptoms of non specific urethritis, and was treated

Hey there, i had symptoms of non specific urethritis, and was treated with doxycycline for 7 days, and the symptoms disappeared. However 7 days after the symptoms have reappeared, and I had a microscopy test and said there is low count pus cells. They said to wait, would symptoms improve ? Or is this a cause of something else ?
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I took doxycylcine
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have tested for chlamydia and gonorrhoea and was negative
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am testing for trichomoniasis and m.genatalium by NAAT and would receive results soon

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi?

How was urethritis confirmed?

I'm Dr Osula by the way

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey, I’m not able to do a live phone call sorry

That;s fine, I rather message than call, was there an issue?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Urethritis wasn’t confirmed when I took doxycycline, but i was prescribed it anyway
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
After 7days taking them, symptoms improved. However 7 days later, symptoms came back
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
this time NSU was diagnosed by microscopy, they saw some pus cells- and was gonna be given doxycycline again (this was another clinic and they didn’t know I had taken the antibiotics before)

Ok, just for my understanding, what symptoms did you have exactly? I assume you had a urethral swab test?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But I said I have taken them already- they suggested to wait a few more days, but I’m worried as symptoms improved- then came back. Is that normal?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Irritation tip of penis, after peeing. No visible discharge, but feels sticky inside urethra. No burning, or pain
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Genital area feels sticky at the end of the day

Did you have a urethral swab test?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they swabbed my urethra and checked under microscope
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They confirmed within 10mins as they saw a low count of pus cells under microscope

ok, now I have the full picture, its more clearer.

Basically, the doxycline was right choice but in some cases does not eradicate the symptoms completely, So simlar to a urine infection, they woudl do a retest to ensure there is no antibiotic resistance or looking for sensitivity to a particular antibiotic which they can give you.
So in this case, its likely you'll need a second course of antibiotic

Your symptoms improved but looks like the pus cells were not completely gone and began to multiply again so the symptoms came back

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you. If I am negative for chlamydia, gonorrea, trichomoasis and m.genatalium, what would be the cause of NSU?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how would that be treated

It would be an unidentified bacteria which is not as important as the ones you've just mentioned.
They would either a. given another 7 day course of doxy
b. Azithromycin for 1 or 4 days depending on dose

c. Ofloxacin for 7 days

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** *****’s an unidentified bacteria, would this be transferable to a female via sex? And is it dangerous?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You have really helped me! Thank you so much btw

Yes, I was going to mention but not sure if you were already told. You need to avoid sex until your symptoms are completely clear. So after second course of antibiotics, maybe they should retest again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
should I just wait for a few days as the nurse said yesterday? or do I go back and ask for 2nd round of antibiotics if results for all of the above come back negative?

If the symptoms are not too bothersome, you can wait for few days but if you feel they getting worse, then 2nd round won't do much harm apart from loose stools maybe

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is it normal that symptoms improve, then come back? Is there a possibility that it would go without 2nd round antibiotics ??

Yes, I explained that earlier about the pus cells not completely gone, and it can happen with any type of infection - chest, throat , UTI etc. You only have low pus cells so most likely it would clear up with 2nd lot but it takes 2 weeks after abx to clear up

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks!

No worries, thanks for the feedback rating