Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

I have persistent symptoms of UTI, even though I have just

I have persistent symptoms of UTI, even though I have just finished my second course of antibiotics. I feel constant urge to pee, and slight permanent burning down below. I am in such horrific discomfort, that I am struggling to cope with my life. The doctors reception however called me today and said that my urine test came back normal. I am in shock and literally in tears, as no-one seems to know what to do.
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: Acute
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: It just started about 2 weeks ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
First I took a 5 day course of Trimethoprim 200 mg. And then a 3 day course of Nitrofurantoin
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The permanent urge to pee seems to be getting worse , its so bad, i don't understand how the results could have come back normal today. I am feeling desperate.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have only had it once before quite a few years ago, and don't usually suffer from any problems with my bladder or urinary tract.
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 15 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.
Kind regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani
Hello... I understand your concern.
I need some more information please.
1. May I know your age and gender please?
2.How long have you had this symptom please?
3. Is it like - you have the urge to urinate, but, when you go to urinate - very little comes out and you still have the urge to urinate?
4. Are you running any temperature?
5. Is there any blood in the the urine?
6. Is there any personal or family history of renal stones please?
7. Have you undergone any procedure in the pelvis in the recent past and if so when?
8. Are you a diabetic or hypertensive?
9. Is the pain always consistent with urination please?
Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.
Kind regards - Dr Sumanth Amperayani
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
1. female 43 y.o.
2.almost 10 days
3.yes exactly the way you describe.and its a constant feeling.
4.no
5.no
6.not that i am aware of
7.no
8.no
9.not really painful when urinate just slight burning feeling permanently down there and constant permanent urge to pee which feels awful.

Thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information. From your symptoms analysis and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you, I feel that, the possibilities are -

1. Interstitial cystitis or bladder pain syndrome (BPS)

2. Viral hemorrhagic cystitis.

3. Over active bladder.

In this order of preference.

Will explain the most probable possibility of interstitial cystitis here so that you can be well informed before your consultation.

Bladder pain syndrome is one of the conditions that cause people to have bladder pain and urinate often. Bladder pain syndrome is often called "BPS" for short. It is also sometimes called "painful bladder syndrome" or "interstitial cystitis."

BPS can happen in men or women, but it is more common in women. We do not know what causes BPS, but some suspect it might be caused by abnormal changes in the lining of the bladder. Sometimes, BPS happens on its own. Other times, it starts after a person has:

●An infection of the urinary tract, vagina, or prostate

●Surgery on the bladder, pelvis, or back

●An injury to the pelvic area or buttocks

Symptoms include - Feeling like you need to urinate often during the day and night (even if you don't actually urinate), urinating often during the day and night, having pain in the lower belly or around the area where urine leaves the body.

There is no one test to check for BPS. But if you have BPS symptoms, your doctor will talk with you, might do an exam, and will probably do a urine test. Depending on the results, your doctor might do other tests, too.

For example, some people have a test called "cystoscopy." During cystoscopy, a doctor puts a thin tube with a tiny camera on the end into the opening in the body where urine comes out. Then the tube is advanced until it reaches the bladder. That way the doctor can look at the inside of the bladder to see if it is abnormal.

Treatment options include - Bladder training, physical therapy, medicines and surgery.

May I suggest you discuss these possibilities with your PCP or urologist and get yourself appropriately evaluated and managed please.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Kind regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can I just say that during my last visit at the doctors 2 days ago, the quick dip test that she did at her office, showed that I have protein and white cells in my urine. How is it possible that the other sample that they had sent off to the lab just a day before that, came back normal today ?
Some amount of protein and white cells are normal.

Moreover simple exercise also can increase them.