Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have gross hematuria today from intermittent

I have gross hematuria today from intermittent catheterization. About 8 hours ago after using the catheter I expelled purplish urine. Six times or so since the same, but slightly less red. I am on antibiotic for a UTI. I don't want to go to urgent care on account of Covid. What is the general risk to wait and see? I've bled before and the bleeding stopped on its own
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: A few hours now. Caused by catheter insertion.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Prostate enlargement is the reason for interittent coloplast catheters.

Good evening, I am Dr Elliot and hope I can be of help

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don't have fever. Not clammy or dizzy. Have been hydrating with water and apple cider vinegar. No pain except minor discomfort on urination. Generally pee

I am a GP urologist and what you say is reassuring

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Pee about 300 mls

The bleeding is from local trauma, the risk with haematuria is small clots that can block the bladder and cause urinary retention. This could be managed with re-catheterisation but I would recommend you attend an A&E for a bladder scan and full catheter if this was to happen.

However, the face that the blood is getting lighter suggest resolution of the bleeding. As long as you are drinking plenty and passing urine which is getting clear, this is fine to continue as you are at home

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I plan not to insert a catheter until my urine is basically clear...

I think what you are already doing is great, just continue doing this, but if difficulty passing urine, or worsening pain with blood that continues tomorrow then I would then suggest you see someone

Does that help?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Great to get validation. I'll watch for clots and hydrate.

My pleasure, best of luck and hope all settles quickly for you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
If it progresses I'll take the risk and go to A&E

Please could you kindly rate my answer, this is the only way that I am credited for answering questions, thank you