neurosurg
neurosurg, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Surgeon
206912

Went cycling 3 weeks ago and developed totally numb penis

Went cycling 3 weeks ago and developed totally numb penis afterwards. I understand pudendial neuralgia can happen after cycling but I understand this is usually transient. This numbness is still persisting. What should i do ? Many Thanks
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: Acute but lasted 3 weeks
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: PMH cervical cord astrocytoma C5/C6. Had surgery followed by radiotherapy in 1995. No issues since.

Hello -

In most cases this can be a temporary issue, but you may have had more significant inflammation affect the pudendal nerve here.

Certainly if you continue to have symptoms, further evaluation with MRI of the lumbar spine would be helpful to rule out other conditions that could cause nerve irritation as well. Certainly avoiding cycling for now would also be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I also have complete loss if erections and ejaculation. Though the bladder and bowel function is normal with sensation awareness.
Is this common with pudendal neuralgia ?

The most common is pain, or numbness.

It could also be responsible for erection problems as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Will the sexual function return naturally with time ? Or will any treatment be required ? How long should it return by ? When should I seek help if it does not return ?
Many Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As above please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As above please

Hello -

The hope is that sexual function will return with time, and slowly come back without treatment.

But it is impossible to know the extent of any possible nerve damage here, and so if you don't have any significant improvement by 6 weeks, then getting this checked out by a urologist would be helpful.