Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

FURESEMIDE 40 MG REDUCED TO 20MG AS A DIURETIC BUT IT SEEMS

I AM TAKING FURESEMIDE 40 MG REDUCED TO 20MG AS A DIURETIC BUT IT SEEMS VERY AGGRESSIVE AND I CANNOT GO ANYWHERE SHOPPING BECAUSE ALL THE TOILETS ARE SHUT. IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE? BENDROFLUMETHIAZIDE????PS I HAVE GOT TWO SLIGHTLY SWOLLEN LOWER LEGS/FEET...REGARDS...CHARLES MCCREATH
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
EXTRA INFFO ....I HAVE CROHNS, AM DIABETIC T2 ON INSULIN, HAVE ENLARGED PROSTATE ( CHECKED ALREADY ) SOME SLIGHT BP PROBLEM

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff. So Furosemide 20mg is the lowest dose so there isn't anything weaker than this. Could it be it is your prostate causing the problem which is being aggravated by the diuretic.

If you have an enlarged prostate, this causing some urinary symptoms, and it makes it difficult completely emptying the bladder. Are you taking Tamsulosin or Finasteride for your prostate?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HELLO..THANKS FOR THE REPLY, SORRY FOR DELAY..I AM TAKING BOTH TAMSULOSIN HYDROCHLORIDE AND FINASTERIDE...CHARLES MCC

Thanks Charles. If you are already on both finasteride and tamsulosin then it would probably be worth repeating an ultrasound scan to assess your urinary post void residual. This would diagnose if you are retaining too much urine and if this is therefore the problem.

The diuretic would inevitable aggravate this. Are you taking the diuretic purely for ankle/leg swelling? Or is it for heart failure?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
JUST FOR ANKLE AND LEG SWELLING...IT SEEMS TO HAVE DEVELOPED IN THE WAKE OR AT THE SAme time OF MY RECENT CELLULOSIS PROBLEMS...charles m

Okay thanks, ***** ***** short of elevating your legs as often as you can, a diuretic is your only option. If the 20mg Furosemide dose is helping then you could try and take it every other day instead

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP...REGARDS....CHARLES MC
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I HAVE TRIED TO GIVE YOU A RATING OF 5 STARS IN GRATITUDE BUT THE WEBSITE DOES NOT WANT TO RECEIVE THEM!!!

Thank you very much - sorry I hadn't ticked the box to complete the question - should be visible now.

Many thanks, ***** *****