How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 50974
Experience:  MBBS MS (Surgery) Vast experience and routinely perform all urology procedures including endoscopy.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now

I am a 72 year old male with enlarged prostate. Frequent

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am a 72 year old male with enlarged prostate. Frequent urination but almost normal flow. Had within the last 2 years twice same symptoms: sudden onset of burning and pressure in perineum area mainly in
JA: Is this a new condition, or have you been dealing with it for a while?
Customer: No. Going on for quite some time. The current problem started about 10 days ago. Particular discomfort when resting such as in the night in bed. Symptoms disappear when moving.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.
I’m sorry to hear about your problem. I know how worrisome this situation can be for you.
Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

Have you shown a doctor for this?

Any tests done on urine?
Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.
You may get a message asking for a phone call which is generated automatically by the website, if you accept this I can help you over phone also. If you do not want a phone call, which is a premium service and costs extra, simply ignore this, I will help you through chat.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
had last year a course of ciprofloxacin and tamsumac. Now it reoccurred. No blood in urin.

Thank you for the reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

You are likely to be suffering from a mild urinary tract infection. This can cause such burning sensation in the penis.

Enlarged prostate predisposes to urinary infection.

You should consult your doctor for this. Since this has been recurrent, discuss with your doctor about doing a urine culture and sensitivity. This will show the exact bacteria responsible for this and the best antibiotic for your infection.

Till you get to the doctor, you can try with some home and OTC treatment:

Take lots of water and fluids - this is virtually the most important step in home treatment.

Cranberry juice - this is known to be very useful in UTI

Urine alkalisers - Bicitra, Citrolith,Oracit,Polycitra-K, Uristat tablet - you can get this OTC at pharmacies, use this.

But do show your doctor personally and get checked up. Ask for a urine culture and sensitivity test. You also have to be checked up if you develop fever or blood in the urine.

Dont worry, this can be treated easily - show a doctor if necessary- be safe.

Hopefully this will solve your problem. I do hope I was able to help you in resolving this issue. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
No really a sensation in the penis but rather a pressure in the perineum between anus and scrotum, a sensation as sitting on a golf ball...... much worse when lying down in bed and much better when walking.

That is because of prostatitis.

The prostate is also inflammed in this.

A Urine culture and sensitivity will determine the bacteria and help you to get the most effective antibiotic so that it does not recur.

Hope this helps.

How may I help you, please?

What are your unanswered questions?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hi, I am a 72 year old male with enlarged prostate. Frequent urination but almost normal flow. Had within the last 2 years twice same symptoms: sudden onset of burning and pressure in buttock / perineum between anus and scrotum, a sensation like sitting on a golf ball.
Worse when lying down in bed in the night but much better when moving about.

Thanks for the further information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your symptoms are suggestive of;

1) Chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) and

2) Interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome.

The first step is to treat the enlarged prostate.

The effective herbs for the treatment of prostate enlargement are;

1) South African star grass

2) Rye (Secale cereale)

3) Pumpkin seeds

4) American dwarf palm/saw palmetto.

The prescription medications are;





Dietary fibers and antioxidants found in fruits and vegetables, particularly tomatoes and cruciferous vegetables, and phytoestrogens found in soy protein, prevent prostate disease.

Dairy products and red meat, promote obesity and prostate growth, so should be avoided.

The following possibilities should also be considered for your symptoms;

1) Chronic prostatitis; E. coli and staphylococci are the predominant causative organisms. These are the same organisms that produce acute prostatitis which has also been implicated in causing chronic prostatitis. In addition, there is evidence that non-infective congestion of the prostate may be the initial change in chronic prostatitis, and that the congestion may predispose to subsequent infection.

2) Granulomatous prostatitis; is an inflammation of the prostate gland, which contains granulomatous tissue. There are two varieties: specific and nonspecific. The nonspecific type is more common and is the result of the escape of prostatic contents (secretions, seminal plasma, corpora amylacea, spermatozoa) and bacterial products or urine into the prostatic tissue. Specific granulomatous prostatitis is produced by Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Treponema pallidum, Brucella abortus, schistosomiasis, metazoa, malacoplakia, and various fungi.

Following investigations would provide the diagnosis;

1) Intravenous urogram; x-rays taken after injection of a dye.

2) Transrectal ultrasound (TRUS)

3) Semen culture

4) Urine culture

5) CT scan

One of the important findings is on physical examination. During digital rectal examination (DRE) by your doctor, a prostate tenderness may be elicited. Your physician may do a prostate massage. This expels some drops of fluids from the penis opening. This fluid again can be sent for the culture test. That can give the diagnostic clue. The usual treatment is a course of antibiotics for a prolonged time (3-4 weeks) according to the culture test results which tells about the best effective antibiotic. Prostate congestion may need a recurrent prostate massage at weekly intervals so infection is eliminated. This is done during the antibiotic treatment.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

" I sincerely hope that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Thank you!”.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 50974
Experience: MBBS MS (Surgery) Vast experience and routinely perform all urology procedures including endoscopy.
Dr. Arun Phophalia and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Many thanks. Excellent professional advice. ��

You are very welcome.

Thanks for your kind and generous words.

“I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to add me as your favorite and come back anytime to ask another question.”