Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist
Experience:  MBBS MS (Surgery) Vast experience and routinely perform all urology procedures including endoscopy.
5625079

Can I speak with a urologist please, Yes I have seen my gp I

Customer Question

Hi can I speak with a urologist please
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes I have seen my gp I only take cerazette contraceptive tablet
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no other than my urology query
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: Acute I think
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 days ago.

What is your age?

What are your symptoms?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’m 39 back in April I came off the depo contraceptive injection I had some pain at end of urination and blood on tissue when wiping after urinating, this all cleared up after being treated for a UTI I then went in cerazette contraceptive tablet both of these are progesterone only. I had been taking my pill late last week I noticed very pale pink in my urine started taking my pill at the correct time and this has disappeared along with the burning pain at end of urinating. Dr asked me to do another urine sample which is clear other than microscopic blood, I have to repeat another sample in 2 weeks. Have you any ideas what’s causing this. Can contraceptive cause any of this

Thanks for the further information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5-10 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

I am sorry for your health concern.

Contraceptives can cause (though this is an uncommon side effect/adverse effect);

1) Microscopic blood in the urine

2) Predispose for a UTI.

This can be helped by Cranberry extract capsules and plenty of liquids.

Your doctor may also consider a urine culture and if that comes positive (it will also tell the best antibiotic also); you may take antibiotics accordingly to eradicate the infection and prevent the recurrence.

I am glad for the opportunity to answer your question.

I hope this interaction is helpful to you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have no signs of uti on lab result other than microscopic blood, I feel like When my progesterone Levels drop I then get blood in urine

A urine culture is far superior to detect the infection than a urine routine. This was the reason I mentioned it. I do agree that the contraceptive may be responsible for blood in the urine.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Oh sorry I assumed any sample sent to the lab would show anything, I’m now worried that I’ve had microscopic blood for months and my pill has masked this. I’ve stupidly been googling and convinced myself I have something bad lol
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My dr said he would send me for an ultrasound if sample still showed microscopic blood in 2 weeks
this is the next step of evaluation. A tiny concretion or stone may cause small blood off and on.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
my contraceptive wouldn’t hide anything such as cancer?
It won’t.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you do you have any explanation for visible blood after urination when not on contraception and microscopic when I’m on contraception (progesterone only)

The blood in urine/urethra (microscopic and gross) can be caused by many reasons as the following;

UTI

Stone

Desquamative inflammatory vaginitis.

Drugs/Medications.

Only investigations can determine and differentiate them.