Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

This is for my dad. Wanted to discuss about the urine colour

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: this is for my dad. Wanted to discuss about the urine colour he noticed on a couple of occasions. What’s the process?
JA: Any pain or burning sensation while urinating? What color is your urine?
Customer: brown but only for the first 1-2 seconds after which the rest of the urine is colourless. No pain.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your father's medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: He is taking atorvastatin, cilnipidine and aspirin. Since 2003. He got his blood and urine samples tested recently and no blood was found in the urine, no infection, kidney and liver normal. Prostrate ok when checked through digital method and PSA 1.4. Wondering why the urine is brown coloured only for the first 2 seconds after which it is colourless. He has been taking 2l of water nowadays.

Good morning I am Dr Ruff, I am a UK GP and happy to help, thank you for contacting us today.

Brown urine can often be from Urea itself, and therefore possible he is passing more concentrated urine initially. However you are right to question if blood is present. I appreciate he may not be having the darker urine tested, but if on dip and culture there is microscopic blood, this is reassuring as this is a rather sensitive test.

Certainly drinking more water will improve this, however if the rest of his urine is clear/lighter, and he is not having any increased urinary frequency or urgency then I wouldn't be concerned.

The blood test of his kidney and liver certainly excludes other concerning features.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He has had 4 occasions of this 7 & 23 Aug and then 7 & 18 Oct. Any explanation for him to see the brown urine only for the first 2 seconds after which it turns absolutely colourless? The statins? Exercise? He has been taking turmeric, ginger everyday in his juice...should he reduce that? So shall he just continue drinking 2 litres water and see if this acts as a cure? For the last 7-10 years He has been going to the toilet almost every 2-3 hrs, and has had a feeling of urgency but this has been the case again for the last 5-7 years.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He does have spermatocele which was found 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
This was found through ultrasound 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Could that cause brown urine at the start?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Blood and urine tests were done by UK GP in August
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Dr Ruff, are u still there?