Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I’ve had this problem for several months now, I had multiple

Customer Question

I’ve had this problem for several months now, I had multiple UTI’s which were treated with several courses of antibiotics and now I’ve been left with pain before and after urination and the most strange and uncomfortable feeling of an air bubble in my urethra. I really need some answers please can you help
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: sorry what do you mean by that?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I do not have any STI’s and I had an ultra sound of my bladder and kidneys and it came back fine
Category: Urology
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 18 days ago.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today.

Please can I ask if you are male or female?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Female
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I’ve had the problem now for over 3 months and I’ve just got no answers. I’m just living with this pain and this strange bubble sensation that I can’t get rid of
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi, are you there?

Hello there, thank you for your response.

With a recurrent UTI the first important thing is to ensure that this has been cultured, and therefore find out what the bacteria is sensitive to or if there is any known resistance. Otherwise you will be left with an untreated infection.

A normal Ultrasound scan is reassuring. You should also get a blood test to check that your kidney function is not compromised, as in recurrence sometimes this can be chronic urinary reflux which over time can also affect the function of the kidneys. Getting your urine dipped for protein is also a useful test.

Following on from this if this is continuing and it is suspected you are having recurrent UTIs, then I would suggest a Antibiotic as prophylaxis, therefore you take it daily for 3 months as well as a arrange a Cystoscopy so that your bladder and urinary tract can be visualised. This can be done by a Urologist.

I hope this is of some help to you, please feel free to ask any further questions.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** very helpful. I recently visited a gynaecologist who diagnosed me with pelvic congestion after I told him the same symptoms I have told you. He has prescribed me with amitriptyline (10mg each night), however I am weary this is the correct diagnosis and whether I should take the medication? Also, what should I say when I call my doctor tomorrow to ensure I get things moving as this has been months now and is greatly affecting my life
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Also, the last time I have in a water sample, the dip test came back clear and the strange bubble feeling and started to subside, however I went out recently and had 3 alcoholic drinks whilst out, the next day the bubble feeling came back and hasn’t gone, does this point to a UTI rather than pelvic congestion?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Sorry to bombard you with questions, but is there any way of getting rid of this bubble sensation short term?

Sorry for the delay in my response. I am not certain from what you have said about the cause to this sensation. And therefore without examination I am uncertain of what to suggest. It would however be worth revisiting this if it hasn't improved.