M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
28778822

I’ve been having really heavy periods for Neary 2 years

Customer Question

Hi. I’ve been having really heavy periods for Neary 2 years where I have to change clothes a couple of times a day. This happens more often than not if say 1 in 3 or 4 months I have a normal period. Have pain in my groin, back side of torso and nausea. Bloods showed slightly raised ca125. Been to gyno he sent me for a scan on ovaries which showed nothing abnormal. But this is really getting me down and would like to know if any further investigations should take place? I’m 35. Married with 2 kids 15 and 10.
Category: Urology
Expert:  M Javid, MD replied 11 days ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer.

I'm Dr. Javid, and I'll assist you today.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

I need a bit more information.

You had a CT scan done?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I had a ct scan 2 years ago. Ultrasound 6 weeks ago

Ok, the causes of heavy periods include endometriosis, ovarian cysts, cervical polyp, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), STDs, bacterial infections, and rarely, cancers.

To find out the exact cause, a pelvic exam, ultrasound, and some blood tests to check the thyroid (free T4 and TSH) are done.

If all this has been done, then you should discuss some options to reduce bleeding.

This could be a hormone-releasing IUD, like Mirena.

Or birth control pills, including continuous pills like Seasonale, where you have a period once every three months.

I hope this helps?

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks. I was convinced endometriosis but they said no signs of it on ultrasound scan. Never had an STD. I can’t take birth control as it isn’t good for me mentally. They’ve given me medication but I need to find what the problem is.

Ok, just because they did not see it on ultrasound does not really rule out endometriosis, and as you can see I also mentioned it as a possible cause of heavy periods and pain.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok. I have another appointment with the gyno next week. What can I ask him to do to see if it is endometriosis?

Sometimes an examination by a 'scope is needed: diagnostic laparoscopy.

This is a day procedure done by the ob/gyn.

If they don't want to do it, then you can ask them to order a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok they did mention this. Would pelvic inflammatory disease present itself this way? And would it last as long as this. Would it have shown on a scan?

A CT scan would be better, though it could show up in the ultrasound as well.

PID is a whole spectrum of presentations.

Sometimes nothing but tenderness on deep pressing the lower abdomen.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help.

Yes, it could last long, if left untreated, though that is not very common, but it does happen.

Thank you for allowing me to help, and I wish you all the best.

Please complete a positive answer rating, thanks.