Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I would like to speak with a urologist regarding my kidney

I would like to speak with a urologist regarding my kidney cyst
JA: Is this a new condition, or have you been dealing with it for a while?
Customer: new condition
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have had a CT scan which showed a Simple Cyst to the upper pole of my right kidney which measures 12.4cm. I have seen a private urologist who advised a 'watch and wait' policy as he thinks my upper and mid back pain is not related. I have had back pain for several years which has progressively got worse and I am taking analgesia on a daily basis with little effect. I would like the cyst aspirated to see if this will alleviate my back pain symptoms however my urologist does not want to do this either as he states the cyst will fill up again ? My GP wont refer me to anyone else, I feel that no one is listening regarding my back problems and I dont know what else to do? Please advise. Thank you.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today, I thought I would answer as I am a GP Urologist and your question had been waiting.

I am sorry to hear that you experienced this. Indeed this is a large cyst.

The reason for the watch and wait approach is due to the fact that these can decrease in size rapidly, as well as return even with surgical removal.

Due to this reason, it is worth waiting for 6-12 months to see what happens before committing to surgical management of this. You are entitled to a second opinion and could request this.

I would agree that a renal cyst is unlikely to be causing much back pain and I would consider addressing this with physiotherapy to at least assess the back.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your reply Dr Ruff. Could you tell me when aspiration of the cyst a or surgical de-roofing would be considered ? and What type of symptoms would I be experiencing if the cyst continues to grow ? When would a surgeon think appropriate to operate ? Thank you Kind regards, Webster.

No problem at all. De-roofing may be better as more likely to prevent recurrence. Aspiration can have a better effect initially and less invasive therefore also worth consideration if surgical intervention is required.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you Dr Ruff you have been most helpful. Finally, one more question, what symptoms am I to look out for if my cyst becomes problematic? Thank you, ***** ***** Webster

So if this persists then this could suggest surgery is indicated with no evidence of it getting smaller. As per renal cysts, they rarely suddenly become problematic.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you so much Dr Ruff, I feel more reassured. Have a great day kind regards Webster

Not a problem at all, I wish you all the best.