Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I had dyskaryosis with wart viral effect in 1998. I received

Customer Question

I had dyskaryosis with wart viral effect in 1998. I received treatment in the coombe where cells were lasered off. at the time i didn't know how I got it as I had never had another sexual partner other than my husband who insisted that he had never had another sexual partner either. We are now seperated and my daughter is going through the same issue and has said to me that it's a sexually transmitted disease that you cannot get from any other means. ?? can you 1. clarfiy that this is so and 2 do I need to get tested now in case I meet someone new. 3. once I've had this can it re-appear. and 4 in the male the carrier is it a life-long issue
JA: Any pain or burning sensation while urinating? What color is your urine?
Customer: no its a historic question??
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: i've given to all details
Category: Urology
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
are you going to reply here
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

Dyskaryosis refers to changes to the cervical cells. The HPV virus is a risk factor for it but not the only cause. HPV is often a dormant virus, 90% of adults will have it at some point, but only in those who are sexually active. This is why children are now vaccinated against it as there is no treatment other than the body managing it.

In those who have it, most resolve within 12 months due to the body immune response, no treatment is necessary, other than only to the cervical cells if they change.

It is not considered a sexually transmitted disease in this instance. You or your partner can have it as a dormant virus, it can take years to appear. Therefore it is not suggestive of you or your partner having other partners, but more often an indication of previous sexual partners (from years before).

You do not need testing for this, it is routinely checked with each smear. There is a form of HPV which causes ulcers and lesions, this is a different form. If you were to have these then yes you should have sexual health screening. It is unlikely to reappear again, but a new partner could re-introduce it. Either male or female can be the carrier.

I hope that this helps.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
thank you i understand this.my question is how did I get it if my partner said he never had another sexual partner other than me? we were very young when we got married
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
are you ready to reply
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

That is my pleasure. Was this partner your first partner?

Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

The virus would have come from sexual contact with someone else who would have had it. So this implies that a previous sexual encounter is likely to have caused it, either in the male or female.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
it was my first and only sexual partner and he insisted that he was always a virgin when we met??
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

Okay thanks, ***** ***** is assumed the virus needs to be introduced from a prior sexual encounter.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
ok thank you. does the virus stay with the carrier for life
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

After it becomes active, it can then spontaneously resolve, so this may never cause you a problem again.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
what about my husband can he still pass on the virus
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

Yes it is possible.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
forever?
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

No, as mentioned this can resolve.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
perfect thank you
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

That is my pleasure. It is not screened for in males, only considered a factor for cervical cancer.

Is there anything else I can help you with?