Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
11269312

I struggle with performance anxiety. i have had sex with a

Customer Question

hi, i struggle with performance anxiety. i have had sex with a couple partners but over lockdown i stopped having sex and since this i have developed peformance anxiety which leads to ED
JA: When did the anxiety start? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: well before my 1st ever partner i experienced this and got ED but after a few times trying it worked and was working fine throughout that relationship, i just visabley remember the feeling and i now question everytime if im going to be able to get it up which leads to me getting the anxiety.
JA: Got it. How have you been sleeping? Any insomnia or other issues?
Customer: im an overthinker in any situation so always have a 20-60 minute thing of just thinking about random stuff but other than that i sleep well
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: no
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age?

How long have you been having this now?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
hi mate, i am 19 and i had this with my first sexual experience at 16, after not understanding what was happening i found out my anxiety in the situation was leading to me not being able to get an erection, this was with my girlfriend at the time and after a few tries it worked and once it had worked it just contiously worked with that partner. i was with her for around a year and then i split with her, ever since this i have had a fear that when i get into a sexual incounter i will get ED and this leads to me having anxiety towards the situation, i have had this happen on a couple of circumstances and this has lead to me having constant anxiety towards sex

Thank you for the reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Erectile Dysfunction can be due to a number of causes.

Psychological: Psychological causes of ED are the commonest cause.

Other causes of ED are: medicines, neuropathy due to causes like diabetes, hormonal disorders like low testosterone, lumbar disc lesion, cardiovascular diseases, etc.

In your case, this is most likely due to psychological causes. SInce you are young and healthy, psychological causes like performance anxiety, masturbation habits (masturbation is not bad in itself but excessive masturbation more than 5 times a week, too fast or too much pressure causes a habituation to masturbation) anxiety about self, anxiety about partner, etc all contribute to this.

Psychological problems leading to erectile dysfunction are common after a period without sex, a new partner, periods of increased stress, etc. In your case your main problem is performance anxiety. This is a very common problem.

You should not get yourself worried about this. You will certainly come out of this with time.

The first thing is to combat your stress.

Try to avoid stress - cut down on coffee, alcohol, smoking.

Regular hours of sleep.

Good healthy diet.

Iron, Vit. C and Zinc supplements

Exercise regularly, this is the most important step.

In additon to this, the other measures that you should take are:

Vitamin supplements: Bioflavinoids, Selenium and Vitamin E supplements.

Kegel exercises: You should do them regularly for strengthening the pelvic muscles.

All these supplements are available OTC at pharmacies and you can ask for these supplements.

All these measures will help you to come out of this.

If it persists, you should see your doctor.

There are a number of drugs available. The most well known of course is Sildenafil (Viagra). Besides this, alternative drugs like Tadalafil (Cialis) and Vardenafil (Levitra) are also available. These are the first choice of treatment and one or the other should work for you.

Prescription drugs will certainly help you overcome this if you need them. You can use this for a certain period till you come out fo this.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

Please do send me feedback by giving a 5 star rating or 'accepting' my answer so that I know how helpful my answer was to you. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti