Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I am experiencing redness / purple tinge of the scrotal skin

I am experiencing redness / purple tinge of the scrotal skin which is uncomfortable and recently became more inflamed.
This has been ongoing for a number of years and I had put it down to a side effect of medication which I had been taking.
(Citalopran prescribed as a result of a head injury)
Symptoms amounted to uncomfortableness in the area and were not severe until recently.
Small white spots are visible under the scrotal skin and I would regurarly wash the area with surgical spirit which would occasionally cause stinging. Have tried over the counter creams but without improvement. Very difficult to get a doctors appointment because of Covid 19 restrictions. Any help advise would be most appreciated.

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 16 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital.

Skin conditions are always best diagnosed and treated after seeing them directly. May I request you to upload some images please.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Please find four images. I do not experience any symptoms other than previously outlined.

Please hold on.

1. Since how long have you had this Rash?

2. Are you experiencing any itching or burning or pain sensation in the local region?

3. Do you have diarrhea when you develop a flare of this Rash?

4. Is there any personal or family history of Psoriasis or atopic dermatitis?

5. Any history of insect bite or camping out doors?

6. Do any of the other family members or social contacts have similar rash?

As you are not able to respond. I will try my level best with the minimal information available.

"Without the information requested in my first/previous response, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps."

Please do remember that you can still come back to me for further clarification.

Best regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Thank you for uploading the images for my better understanding.

This looks like ring worm.

They are skin infections caused by a fungus. These types of fungal infections are also called "tinea."

Some people call these fungal infections "ringworm," because they often cause a ring-shaped, red, itchy rash on the skin. But a ring-shaped rash need not always be there.

You can catch fungal infections from anyone who is infected. You can also catch them from an infected dog or cat. Plus, you can pick up the infections from places where the fungus might be, such as:

●A shower stall

●The locker room floor

●The area near a pool

If you have a fungal infection on one part of your body, you can also spread it to other parts.

The treatment for a fungal infection depends on which body part is affected. If you have a fungal infection on your scalp, you must take pills that will kill the fungus. Treatment for scalp infections usually lasts 1 to 3 months. If you have a fungal infection on your feet, groin, or another body part, you probably will not need pills. Instead, you can use a special gel, cream, lotion, or powder that kills fungus (Lotrimin AF or Lamisil applied in a thin layer twice a day for 2 - 4 weeks).

Treatment with these products lasts 2 to 4 weeks. If you have a fungal infection on your groin and on your feet, you must treat both infections at the same time. If you do not, the infection on your feet can spread to your groin again.

These oral medications are prescription drugs and you will require doctor's prescription for this.

Most mild cases of ringworm usually clear up in 2 to 4 weeks. But treatment might be needed for up to 3 months if the infection is more serious, or affects the nails or the scalp.

Here are some other general tips on how to prevent fungal infections:

●Do not share unwashed clothes, sports gear, or towels with other people

●Always wear slippers or sandals when at the gym, pool, or other public areas. That includes public showers.

●Wash with soap and shampoo after sports or exercise

●Change your socks and underwear at least once a day

●Keep your skin clean and dry. Always dry yourself well after swimming or showering.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I do not like the idea of your recent replies being blurred. Is this to encourage me to use the phone at 39 Euro. Not impressed if this is the case.
Absolutely not it is very crystal clear for me and I do not have anything to do with this and I am not in a position to make a phone call either.
If you want I would send the reply again
I lost my connectivity and got back just now. I am sorry for the inconvenience, please go through my above replies.
You are the first customer who has complained about the blurriness in so many years.
But I am here to help you. If you need my response again, I will send it over again.
Please let me know.
Hello?

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you.

In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800