Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency Medicine
11269312

I am considering asking for my testicals to be removed

Customer Question

I am considering asking for my testicals to be removed rather than have hormone treatment for the rest of my life for prostrate cancer. I am really sruggling with the hormone tablets!!!
JA: How long have you been using the hormone? Has it helped at all?
Customer: about 1 year - my testosterone level has reduced to 7
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Have you seen a doctor about cancer?
Customer: yes n- under treatment
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 12 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age?

How long have you been having prostate cancer?

How long have you been taking hormone tablets?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
75 years old -Prostrate removed 6 years ago - I have had 2 lots of radiotherapy and started on Hormone injections and tablets about 1 year ago. My PSA level is .4 - I have prostrate cancer I 2 lymph glands and between 2 ribs
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I don't want a call thank you

Yes you can go for surgical castration if the side effects from hormones are too much for you.

Castration also has its side effects though they are generally less intrusive than hormonal pills.

Side effects are: sweating, increased body fat, decreased muscle mass, impotency and anemia. Castration increases the risk of osteoporosis and fractures in prostate cancer patients via hormonal effects to the bone.

You should be aware of these side effects. But the decision is really upto you.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome.. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti