KemalG
KemalG,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

How can I know deference in symptoms between prostate

Customer Question

How can I know deference in symptoms between prostate problems and UTI AND urinary tract cancer
Category: Urology
Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

You are right that it can be difficult to differentiate between these 3 conditions because the symptoms can overlap.

Generally speaking, UTI symptoms are acute which means they occur over a short period of time and are resolved with antibiotics. And since it is an infection, there could be an associated fever.

Prostate problems are more chronic and there is no associated fever. There is usually urgency, night time frequency, etc.

The most distinguishing symptom of urinary tract cancer is blood in the urine and possible weight loss. 

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks for your nice and clear answer
Three months ago I had sever pain and urinated blood and clots also and was painful after that my problem started with burning and pain in blader I called 111 doctor gave me antibiotics called macrobid which was useless did urinalysis but was clear after a month burning was the same with pain in in the end of urethra GP gave the same antibiotics but before that did another urinalysis was also clear and also was useless after a month also went to hospital they did urinalysis also clear also did all blood test was all fine also blader scan was good they referred me to urologist because I still complain gave me Keflex for one week helped a bit but did not solve it last year I did coloured scan to all body all was good not because of this situation but for another matter before 10 months exactly before this problem started also same time I did prostate taste was 0.38 normal
I’m really annoyed because of this problem I haven’t lost weight or lost apatite I’m over weight diabetic and have blood pressure all controlled by tablets also take blood thinner and aspirin I’m 58 male never had blood in urine after that incident again three tests I did
Do I have some kind of urine tract cancer or what
Please advise
Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

Can I confirm that you don't have any active symptoms at the moment?

Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

If all of your scans were normal and did not show any cancer or anything else sinister and if you don't have any active symptoms, it is unlikely you have urinary tract cancer.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
still I m having burning when I urinat and pain
Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

And have you had a camera test into your bladder called cystoscopy?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Scans was last year
And for the camera not yet still waiting
Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

If you are still having symptoms, you could speak to your GP or urologist to consider cystoscopy where they can look at the urinary tract with a camera probe.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They referred me to do that but it is taking awhile that’s why I’m asking
Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

At this stage, it is not known if you have cancer. It is very reassuring to have normal scans but you should have further tests in view of your symptoms.

Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

You can have chronic infection and this could be the cause of your symptoms but I am sure your urologist is looking into that.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
One of the GPS told me that if you have cancer you should have blood and no pain and there is no urgency but he referred me another told me chronic prostate I’m confused
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is he right that cancer should show blood not just once
Waiting with this symptoms is bothering
Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

Cancer can present in different ways and blood in the urine is common symptom but there could be other symptoms as well depending on the stage of the cancer.

Chronic prostatitis can cause your symptoms and this can be treated with long term antibiotics.

For now, it is best to wait for the cystoscopy to rule out any bladder issues.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
When the blader is full I feel pain in urethra not blader strange
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I’m still for sure waiting for that but just wanted some relief
Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

This is because bladder has capacity to expand a lot and this can put more pressure on the urethra.

Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

I can say that it is very reassuring that your scans and blood tests were normal and that you don't have blood in the urine anymore.

Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

All these make cancer less and less likely.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ct scan was 12 months ago maybe cancer came after to be precise 10 months after ct scan
But it appears that no diagnosis can be done before this camera
Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

If this camera test is inconclusive or shows anything suspicious, then CT scan can be repeated.

I suggest that you do not worry too much at the moment and wait for the camera test. Hopefully everything will come back normal.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
maybe cancer is present without blood only one time and then hide for months
One of gps said no but I don’t no I’m an ignorant
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Any way thanks doctor
Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

I don't think there is any need to jump to conclusions and it is better to remain positive.

You are most welcome, and wishing you all the best!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
With my symptoms no one can be positive
Expert:  KemalG replied 16 days ago.

Take care!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
One last thing today I used something called Hiprex burning much less no blader pain only pain in the end of urethra exactly
I just took one tablet two hours ago
Maybe there is a chance but is it safe
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
This is just a last one my apologies
And appreciate your help
Expert:  KemalG replied 15 days ago.

Hi. I am sorry for the late reply as I had finished my shift.

Yes, you can use Hiprex if it is helping your symptoms. It is usually given to treat urine infections.