Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Specialist
111381268

Please can you help. My partner is really struggling and has

Please can you help. My partner is really struggling and has been for over 3months. He managed to have a face to face appointment yesterday with yet more things to try! He’s having contractions/ spasms that are so strong he can barely stay on his feet, I can’t bare to listen to him crying out in pain any longer so want to pay for him to have a private investigation but am unsure if he would need an MRI , CT, or ultrasound.
He had a prostatectomy in 2014 due to cancer .in 2016 he had an Artificial sphincter fitted which failed and led to sepsis , he has been incontinent ever since. His incontinence is now managed with a suprapubic catheter and pads. Any advice you can give would be so appreciated
Lesley

Good evening, thank you for getting in touch. Could you tell me a little more about what you'd like to discuss? I may take a few minutes to reply as dealing with other patients too, thank you

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi thank you for getting back to me so quickly. The spasms are like the final stages of labour , last for 30 seconds to 1 minute and happen about 10 times a day. The pain is unbearable when there is the added pressure of going to the toilet (bowel movement)
He took a water sample to Dr who said he would send for tests as there blood was noticed.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Can I get back to you tomorrow please. My partner is in bed now so can’t confirm any questions you may ask. I should have thought of that before I messaged you , sorry

Sure that's quite alright, take your time and give any information whenever is convenient and I'll give my assessment and recommendations, speak soon

I suspect your partner needs infection ruling out firstly with a sample of urine being tested. They should also undergo an MRI scan to look for anatomical causes of their pain. There are some medications (anti-spasmodics) that can be tried to help relieve the spasm and it would be worth speaking to the GP about trialing these. I would also speak to the GP about increasing the available pain relief for your partner hoping to achieve more comfort for them. 

I really hope that was helpful and you feel better for it. Please do come back if you've other questions anytime and all the very best for the future.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
sorry for the delay in replying to your extremely helpful response.
I’m afraid I didn’t see your reply.
He deteriorated after our conversation so we had no choice but to go to A&E .
He is due to see his specialist in the next couple of days.
Your advice is still so helpful , MRI is the way we will go
Many thanks and again very sorry for the delay in responding

Not at all and I'm very glad he was seen and sincerely ***** ***** feels better soon. Glad I could help in any way. Come back anytime and all the best for the future to you both.