How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 29594
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now

I was arrested and jailed for three months in Germany 25 years

Customer Question

I was arrested and jailed for three months in Germany 25 years ago. I have no other arrests or convictions and am hoping to visit the States next year. I understand that a conviction involving 'moral turpitude' will barr me from entry, but that this term has a rather fluid meaning. Please can you advise.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

Of what charge were you convicted?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was shoplifting

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 years ago.
Hello John,

Unfortunately, any theft offense is considered a crime of moral turpitude. If, however, the maximum possible penalty for your offense was less than a year (not what you actually served but the maximum penalty German law allowed for the crime) you may come under a special petty crime exception, provided also that this was your only criminal conviction.

You will want to call the US Embassy in the UK and see if there's a waiver available to you. You will likely have to get an official certificate of disposition from Germany so that the authorities can see what you were charged with and whether the exception applies.

Good luck!