How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Lawyer
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 103491
Experience:  Counselor at Law. Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Ely is online now

I am considering renouncing my US Citizenship having lived

Customer Question

I am considering renouncing my US Citizenship having lived in the UK now for 46 years and not likely to ever return. My tax filing is up to date, but I believe I need to apply for an appointment with a consular officer to proceed. Is there a form for making the necessary appointment? RSVP
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Hello friend. My name is Ely, and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

There is no form necessary for making the appointment.

Renouncing citizenship is governed by Section 349(a)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The individual must:

1.appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer,
2. in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate); and
3. sign an oath of renunciation

The oath page is not available before the appointment.

One simply makes a GENERAL appointment with the consulate (one can tell them what for, of course) and shows up. See here.

Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your answer is probably correct, but it has no legal content and to be made to pay £33 to be given contact details of American Embassy is outrageous.

I got onto this website trying to contact the American Embassy and as their might have been legal aspects to my citizen renunciation, I thought it worth checking. This website guaranteed refund if not satisfied with the service. So I will now see what can be done.