How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now

I have a dispute with my brother regarding the fate of our

Customer Question

I have a dispute with my brother regarding the fate of our jointly inherited house. That is the current issue, however this is against a background of aggressive bullying on a number of issues that has been going on for some time. At the moment, he is determined to sell as soon as possible ( I don't want to sell, but am trying to secure a loan). Among other demands, he has decreed that I should be forced to pay for the maintenance of the house after a certain deadline (early Oct). I can tell that the executor is getting weak and is about to make a decision to sell, only to end his involvement in this matter.

There are no valid reasons for this deadline or even for the rush in making a decision to sell or not (the house still contains personal items belonging to my deceased father)

I think I need a lawyer at this point who can act as intermediary, advise me of my rights against my brother's demands and possibly the executor, who is inclining to do whatever my brother wills.

Please can you tell me what type of lawyer I should find and how to go about it? I live in the UK, the house is in the US, as is the executor. My brother lives in Germany. Can a UK lawyer help, or must it be a US lawyer. I've left out a lot of details which just further illustrate the aggressive bullying.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

My name is Fran, and I am a US lawyer.

As the property in question is a US property and what happens to it will be a matter for US courts to decide, you'll need a US lawyer. As this involves an estate, and the property is part of that estate, you would need a US probate lawyer.

The terms of service here on the site do not allow us to refer you to a particular lawyer or law firm. I can however, steer you to the same referral services which lawyers themselves use when they need to consult with another professional in a strange place where they know nobody.

If you are not sure where to find a lawyer, you can contact the Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service in the state where the estate is being probated, and they can find a probate lawyer to you. I have linked you to their site. They charge a fee of around $50 for the referral which would include a free half hour consultation with the lawyer. That could be done over the telephone so that you don't have to come in to the States just to meet him.

There are also commercial referral services. A particularly respectable one is Many of their lawyers are peer and client rated, which may help you make up your mind which to contact.

Good luck!