How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Lawyer
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 103400
Experience:  Counselor at Law. Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Ely is online now

can i get in teh Us if ai am married to an america citizen

Customer Question

can i get in teh Us if ai am married to an america citizen but we are out of hte country for 4 years
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Hello friend. My name is Ely, and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

This includes your spouse filing an I-130 petition for you. Even if they have been out of the country for 4 years, provided that they are a U.S. Citizen, they can still petition for you to enter the U.S.A.

The I-130 may be found here. It is the Petition for Alien Relative. Once filed, it will give the spouse of a U.S. Citizen the status of a Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. a greencard holder) which allows one passage in and out of the U.S. freely. In other words, one can get a greencard status based on marriage to their U.S. Citizen spouse.

For direct instructions on how to file the I-130 and what other documents are needed with it, please see the link here.

Again, this may be filed even if your spouse is currently outside the country.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)