How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 30002
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now

My ex wife and I got married in Mississippi, USA but it didnt

This answer was rated:

My ex wife and I got married in Mississippi, USA but it didn't work out and she took my daughter to live back in MS, USA four years ago, I gave her sole custody. Since then she has only allowed me limited contact or contact when she knows it's going to be too difficult to speak e.g. 2am on a week night. She's attacked me verbally as a person and a parent and often won't reply to any request s for contact for weeks, months. Is there anything I can do to get regular contact?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a US lawyer.

If you and your wife cannot amiably work out visitation rights to your child, then what you would have to do is to go back to court and petition the judge for a modification to your custody agreement that would specify a schedule which would serve your purposes and with which your ex would have to abide.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thanks for the reply. I did pay extra for a detailed response so was expecting more than a few lines. Perhaps instead you could answer a few further questions?

Do I need to petition in person or can I do this through a solicitor?

Do I need to tell my ex I'm doing this?

Will she have to agree/can she appeal?

Do I need to petition the same judge as I don't have a copy of the order.


Your lawyer would be able to file the petition on your behalf. You don't have to call your ex and discuss it, but yes, your ex would have to be served upon the custodial parent.

It would be great if she agrees, but as she's been resistant so far, it's more likely that she will oppose the petition. In that case, there would be a hearing. Then both parties would have to come before a judge and the judge will decide what's in the best interest of the child and set up a visitation schedule accordingly.

You'd petition the same court. As you're using a lawyer, he'll be able to find the right judge. You could do it too by calling the court that granted your divorce and asking the clerk who could look it up and tell you.
Zoey, JD and other US Law Specialists are ready to help you