How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 29548
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now

this is caroline I havent received my answer yet

Customer Question

this is caroline I haven't received my answer yet
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: US Law
Expert:  clairep80 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
I am sorry - I cannot see that there is a question outstanding - would you like to ask it again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, my name is***** am from the UK, I was married to a USA citizen for more than 5 years, I have a 10yr old child to him, we are now divorced, we didn't register our child's birth are get his USA passport, my ex now does not contact us, maybe he is avoiding child maintence, but I am wondering if I can still get my childs USA passport and social security without him, I have all marriage, divorce and birth certs and his immigration stuff when he lived here for a few years, I would like my child to have this as his family and friends are from there, and it may be beneificial to him when he is older.

Expert:  clairep80 replied 3 years ago.
I shall opt out and refer this to my colleagues in the States
Please be patient - they are worth waiting for!
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 years ago.

What the US government wants is to prevent one parent from getting his or her child a passport and then abducting him and depriving him of the other parent. For that reason, it is complicated for a child with two parents to get a US passport with only the permission of one parent. But under the right circumstances and with the right documentation, it can be done. The US Department of State details what documentation is necessary. Basically, however, you're going to need to establish that you legally have sole custody or that you share custody but do not know the whereabouts of the other parent. It's all explained in the link I have given you, and you can always ask the US embassy in the UK for clarification of the process. As you go through each requirement, make sure you click on the tabs marked "more" so you can see all of your options.

As to the Social Security number, that too is obtainable with appropriate documentation. You can read more about that here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi this is Caroline, I am the applying parent, the father is the USA citizen, He just hasn't contact with us maybe he hasn't time, I don't know, but I would like for my child to obtain his passport, as he has a right to, his grandparents, extended family and friends are all USA citizens and being part of their family he would like to feel the same, if his father doesn't contact or know about such request and I can't reach him to inform him, can we still apply, could his grandparent do so.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 years ago.
Please read my answer and the link I gave you from the state department.

His grandparents cannot apply for his passport. You can if you can document that he's a US citizen and that you have sole custody of him and no access to the father. The link I gave you tells you everything you need to get it done. Also see this.