How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 30036
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now

I have being a victim of fraud The person that victimizes live

This answer was rated:

I have being a victim of fraud The person that victimizes live in Manassas Virginia the money involve is about $23000. I want to find how I can file a lawsuit against this person

My name is ***** ***** I am a US lawyer.

What kind of fraud has he engaged in? If he's a romance scammer for example, the information you have on him is likely to be false.

Have you ever met him in person and are you sure his name and address are legitmate?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have met him on the 23 of May for he first time to pay for the rest of the money to pay for the port fee in Ghana which is $3500. He became a friend with me on face book. I am originally from Ghana and he speak the same Language. we became friends on face book. He told me he know this company when you save about $10000 and keep it within 3 month the money double within three month, I told him I can't do $10000 could only invest $5000 So I did sent him $5000 by bank transfer. On Face Book he said he has a car and trucks and shipping company. He said there was a car going for cheap and if i could buy it he would ship it to Ghana for me and use it when I go to Ghana, The car cost $9000. I did not have the whole money so I did send him $300 I started paying little amount plus $2500 for shipping. He said he would keep the car for me in His house in Ghana. As I would be going to Ghana in the first week in September to collect it in his house in Ghana. What you should know I never have sex with him. I did like him. When I went to Virginia He gave me a SamSung Galaxy Mega. He persuaded me to buy 10 of the phone to sell it in London to make profit, and Micheal koos bags which he said he can get them at a cheaper price, and if I could sell it on the black market to make profit. So I gave him $800 to order bags and the phone. He said he would be coming to London and would bring them for me to sell. I did send him another $3000 to pay for the bags because he keep phoning saying suppler is waiting for the money. After he received the money he is now cold, when I call him he would not answer the phone he had also block me on face book and what's up. I don't even know his house in Ghana. I did stayed in his house for 4 days. He live in Manassas in Virginian. I think he is a scamer. as you said.

Thank you for the details.

In this category, I don't get to give a lot of good news. This time is no exception.

Here's what the problem is:

Although he did defraud you and that is illegal, your contract with him was to sell goods on the black market, which is also illegal. I'm sorry to say that no court in the US (and I believe none in England either) will enforce an unlawful contract.

You are not going to be able to sue this man. I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what the money i gave to him to but the car. what can I do, these are all my pension money

Just to clarify, you only want to sue him for the money you gave him for the car? That was for you personally and that you can do.

If you paid him money for a car and never got the car and you now want your money back, that is a different story, as that has nothing to do with black market dealings.

You could contact a solicitor and mount an international suit from the UK, but it would be costly and protracted that way, and once you got the judgment in a UK court, you'd need to take separate action in the US to try to get the US courts to enforce the judgment so that you can collect.

It's easier by far to retain a Virginia civil trial litigator to sue him for the money you paid for the car he never gave you. You're not going to be able to sue him yourself from the UK without a lawyer. If you don't know where to find a Virginia lawyer, you can contact the Virginia State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral service. They charge about $50 for the referral but that includes a free half hour consultation with the lawyer which you could even have by phone so you don't have to come in from the UK.

I have received a notification that you replied to my answer, but I don't see one.

If you didn't reply, just ignore this post. If you did, please type it again, as it didn't upload.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what about the $5000 I gave him to invest it for me.Which he said will double in three month.

Yes, you can add the $5K to the amount for the car. You can sue for anything that wasn't going to be spent on goods for an illegal business.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help

You're very welcome.

Good luck!

Zoey, JD and 2 other US Law Specialists are ready to help you