How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 35043
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now

Dear Sir/Madam My name is***** and I live in Northern

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madam
My name is***** and I live in Northern Ireland. My daughter Caroline Coffey is currently studying PHD at Reno University. She has been terribly harassed and bullied and even assaulted by members of her lab including her PI.Caroline has suffered from a nervous breakdown and in currently under doctors supervision. She has to take heavy medication and can only work in lab at nights. This is destroying her but she won't give up. Caroline reported to the equality and discrimination office as far back as May 2014. Todate only update as far as progress goes is that she was told that currently wittness's are being interviewed. At no stage has any lab member been suspended pending this enquiry. Caroline is too afraid to report to Police Dept a she has been threatened by several individuals. I am extremely worried and would appreciate your help and advice. I believe that she needs an attorney as the inncidents of harassment and bullying have been very severe with even her research work both tampered with and destroyed by the same lab member who is Post Doc who also assaulted and threatened her. Please please help..... My contact details are *****@******.*** and my phone no *********** or mobile *********** Please can you help my daughter get an attorney!............


My name is ***** ***** I am a US lawyer.

I am sorry to hear of the situation with your daughter.

If she wants to address this criminally, your daughter does not need an attorney. A state prosecutor would be representing her and bringing her case against those people who are harassing her on her behalf and on behalf of all the people in the state of Nevada.

She would have to go to the police department and report the offenses and say that she wants charges pressed against her harassers. They would become defendants in a criminal case. She could ask the police as well for a protective order, and these people would have to keep away from her while the case was pending and, if she wins the case, for some time thereafter, generally at least a year, to be determined by the judge. Failure to abide by the order would get them arrested for the violation, as well as for whatever criminal acts caused the violation.

If she doesn't want to have these folks charged with crimes, she can get an emergency protective order by petitioning the civil court. If the civil judge believes she is at risk and needs the order, an emergency temporary protective order would be issued in her favor and then a court hearing would be held where she would be expected to demonstrate by a preponderance of the evidence why the order should become permanent. The complainant(s) would get the opportunity to try to show that no order of protection is necessary. No lawyer would be necessary for the hearing though it is always advisable. You can read an overview of this process and what it would entail here.

If she is looking to sue her harassers and/or the university for the bullying she would need a civil trial lawyer. Unfortunately, it is against the terms of service on this website for us to give a direct referral to a particular lawyer or a law firm, nor could we represent her on her actual matter. What we can do, however, is to refer you to the same services that lawyers themselves use when they need to consult with someone in a different specialty or state and don't know anyone.She can contact the Nevada Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge around $50 for the referral which includes a free half hour consultation with the attorney.

You could also call a commercial lawyer referral service such as Many of Martindale's lawyers are peer and client rated, which some customers find very helpful.

Good luck!

Zoey, JD and other US Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Fran and Zoey JD

Thank you so very much for your very informatitive answer. I appreciate all your help with this most serious matter. I will forward your information across to my daughter Caroline today. I can assure you that we will avail of your good advice and I pray that my daughter can be protected from her tormentors Once again thank you both so very much, you will never know how grateful we are. We send you all our best wishes for the future.


Thank you!


Yours Sincerely


Donna Coffey and Family

Thanks for the kind words.

Post graduate education is difficult enough without this kind of unlawful and unhealthy pressure and competition. I wish you and your daughter the best.