How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 30017
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now

in the united states,am i entitled to ask for a key to a property

This answer was rated:

in the united states,am i entitled to ask for a key to a property i own(no mortgage) in detroit from the management company who are supposed to be managing it for me? ie letting it?can i demand to see the tenant's contract? if i feel i am being messed about by the management company -also in detroit - can i take them to court? do i have to use a solicitor(their equivalent) or can i submit a case myself in writing paying court fees myself?? thank you for reply mrs logan

My name is ***** ***** I am a US lawyer.

You employ the management company. They are acting as your agent and are responsible to you. You can see all records regarding your property. You can have a key to the premises and can look over leases.

If the management company is not upholding their end of your contract you do have legal remedies. But do you suspect that they are converting your rental proceeds to their own use? In other words, do you suspect they are embezzling?

Take a look at the contract you have with the management company. If it gives you the right to inspect the books and get an accounting of what money is coming in and going out, you can ask that they they give you access to that information per their agreed upon contract. Then you could see if legal action is necessary.

Otherwise, if you know they have tenants and you are not getting any money, something is amiss. You would want to hire a lawyer and sue for the breach of contract and/or breach of fiduciary duty and/or conversion of property. (You could not handle this yourself from the UK without a US lawyer who could actually appear).

Zoey, JD and other US Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dear zoey... i am still the person with a house in detroit from which i sought to have a rental but about which i am getting piffling information from the managing receipts, no monthly accounts ; i think there is no tenant,hence the endless excuses for not providing the key or any tenant's contract; the truncation of information has seen all sorts of excuses. can i send you please the contract? with some sample emails for you to look over?? with a view to at least threatening to take this company to court??please say - and i can pay you to take this step??would it cost a great deal to take this company to court?? the girl has not provided her surname.i have kept all the emails from the start.they show her contradictions about the tenancy.


Unfortunately, we're a general information service, and the rules of the site as well as our bar associations prevent me from being able to do what you are asking of me. We cannot do document review or engage in actual legal representation of our customers.

I am a New York State lawyer, in any case. While my legal training enables me to research and interpret the laws of every US state, I am not licensed to practice in Michigan. Correspondence from me would not be much more effective than your own correspondence has been. You need a Detroit lawyer for your management company to see that you're serious.

You can contact the Michigan Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service and ask them to find you a real estate lawyer in Detroit to help you get what you're entitled to. If what you want is a strongly written letter, it should not amount to very much money. The referral service has a fee of about $50, which includes a free half hour consultation with the lawyer. You can have that consultation over the phone so that you wouldn't have to fly over just to talk to him.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi zoey thank you for your helpful reply..very useful.i understand your position and realise you are in new york etc etc. on re-reading the contract i note that the company is supposed to 1 render monthly statements of receipts,expenses and charges required to rent,maintain and manage the property and 2 to use due diligence in the management of the property during the agreemnt term

apart from a request to pay a one-off fee as a reserve $500 i have not had any bills,receipts or notification properly of charges no othing apart from evasive emails.... ne rent informed first tenant moved out but i am told there is someone else.i have seen no tenants; contracts. what do you think?? i can ciontact michigan assoc . many thanks elli logan

It's clear that she's in breach of the contract. I also hope they aren't robbing you blind.

It's difficult to be an absentee landlord, particularly when you're abroad and can't take more direct control. A local lawyer will help.

Best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello zoey thank you again for your helpful reply..yes i think she is in breach of contract; i didn't risk too much on this purchase...just as well!was hoping to bulk out my pension. do you know please what county/state detroit is in? i don't yet feel robbed blind ..i found out there was no one in the house in the summer...i had mail returned..i think there is no tenant but i am being told there is.also she didn't get the one off 'fee' i was asked for either..she apparently didn't cash it. i was told originally the rent was up to date. i have kept all the emails.clearly they are hand in glove with the company over here.. i will pay to pursue them through the courts so long as it is reasonable, many thanks excellent and rapid reply mrs logan

Detroit is in Michigan.

The point is that you really have to know what's going on, and if they are not telling you, either they are not doing their jobs or they are stealing from you. Or both. You can't afford to make assumptions. You're too far away and can be wrong.

I wish you the best with this, and hope it becomes a good investment for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello again many thanks yes i do need to be told what is going on..when i use the reply tab to get in touch with the bar association i have to fill in a bar which asks me to fill in the county BUT i do not see do not seem to be making contact. is there a snail ie overseas/normal address for the bar association of detroit please?? i am sorry to be a pest i realise the county is michigan,,, many thanks mrs logan

In the UK the definition of a county is different from over here.

Detroit is in the state of Michigan. States are all divided into smaller geographical areas that are called counties. Detroit is located in Wayne County, Michigan.

This should help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello zoey many thanks for the clarification over here we just have counties within the country many thanks i will have a better day now all best wishes mrs logan

Pleased to have helped.

Again, best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello zoey i am that person who has no rent yet for her property in detroit..i am having no luck in raising a person who would look into things for me.. no reply yet from that michigan bar you know a society who would definitely help???... i can transfer funds regards mrs elli logan

Try They are a commercial lawyer referral service and you can search for a lawyer by location and specialty. is still another commercial lawyer referral service

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi zoey i am in one of those situations in which the management company will feel secure in that i will be seen as being impotent to move against them..but i will persist. am i looking for a case of negligence? legal malpractice.?..sorry to be a duffer - my field of expertise is the arts. i am selling this property as soon as i can. many thanks mrs logan(elli)

This is a breach of contract/breach of fiduciary matter. You are entitled to what you want by the terms of your contract. They are not going to be impressed because you can hand them a case on point. They have not been concerned wih anything you've done to date.

If you're not inclined to go to Michigan and see your property for yourself and take charge, then getting a lawyer invoved is your best bet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello zoey thank you for sticking with it.. i have contacted avvo website so hoping a lawyer over there( usa) will agree to further advise me and act for me... i have been an amateur landlord for many years..a couple of properties.. and try to treat people decently. i will persist with this. the managment company are not replying at all. breach of contract as you say. thank you for reponding to me with excellent information mrs logan

The problem with being an absentee landlord is that if you don't oversee your managers, they can cheat you. I hope that's not what's going on here.

I wish you the best of luck getting this straightened out.