How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo Senmartin Your Own Question
Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 111962
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Guillermo Senmartin is online now

I would like to live in the USA. What are my options?. I dont

Customer Question

I would like to live in the USA. What are my options?. I dont have a degree and i am not rich. I go to New York quite often and would like to build a new life there

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** I am a licensed attorney and I am here to help resolve your legal issue. Tackling legal issues can sometimes get cumbersome or confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so small additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! You are NOT charged per question and you are NOT charged per response, so post at your desire! Just please remember that sometimes the law does not have an easy or convenient solution and that is not the fault of the expert. Please do not shoot the messenger.

It is very difficult. I can tell you the main ways and you can try to determine if you fit into one of those. What country are you born in? What citizenships have?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry due to time difference i fell asleep.

I was born in England but my parents are Jamaican.

Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 3 years ago.
No problem. Ok. I ask that you PLEASE not log off without leaving a smiley face/positive rating. This is VERY important and we do not finish just because it says, "To finish".
There are generally 5 avenues to obtain U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. They are through family, through employment, through Asylum or refugee process, through investment, or through the lottery.
, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help you, but the wait is about 4 to 12 years or so.
Through employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to do.
Through Asylum or Refugee process, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured or killed if you stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.
Through investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 residency, or $500,000.00 in an area designated as a high-employment area, plus in both cases the investment has to create 10 or more jobs .S. workers.
And through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year and some countries do not qualify.
Here is a link to the different forms to get a green card:
Then there are some visas available where you can stay temporarily and then later change to Lawful Permanent Residency if you qualify.
Some of the visas available through employment (if you have a job offer and you qualify) are:
H-1B workers
H-2A agricultural workers
H-2B nonagricultural workers
H-3 trainees
Then there are the F-1 and M-1 and J-1 visitors.
And then there is the E-1 traders and E-2 investors (these types of visas are not available in all countries).
Here is a link to most of the available visas:
As you can see, there are many options, but none are easy to qualify for.
Now that I have given you an answer, you may rate me positively OR ask information. Please do not rate me negatively news or things that you may already know. That does not help you or me. I am here to help you and I am on your side. Give me a chance to help you. All you have to do is respond asking information. You are NOT charged per question nor are you charged per response. If this seems a little complicated or overwhelming, I can also offer you an additional service small fee where we can speak in private over the phone or through email that may be helpful (this is a public forum where anyone can read the responses). Feel free to decline it, but if you do, please remember that I am not given a salary, so the only way that I am compensated is if you rate me positively. So at least please use the smiley faces and a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. Also, your question does NOT close just because it says, "To finish". I can still answer additional questions without additional charge. If I do not hear from you, I will automatically send that additional offer request. Thank you understanding and if you would like to request me in the future, just type: in the subject line and message box.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much back to me.

So if I marry someone that has a green card it may take a long time to get residence.

What if the person becomes a citizen after the marriage?.

Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 3 years ago.
It would probably take about 2 years or so to get a green card through marriage to a Lawful Permanent Resident. However, if they become a U.S. Citizen during that process, you can "upgrade" your petition and get to the U.S. much faster. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you positively (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 3 years ago.
Hello Lorna. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!