How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo Senmartin Your Own Question
Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 112458
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Guillermo Senmartin is online now

If we change my wife's name (we are living in the UK) via

This answer was rated:

If we change my wife's name (we are living in the UK) via deed poll (we want to change it back to her maiden name, while not getting divorced!!) do we need to watch out for anything on the US side? My plan is, once we have the document of the deed poll,
we get her a new US passport (+ a new residence card into that passport) and otherwise, then change everything here in the UK (Hmrc, banks etc) Is that enough? Would the US embassy have a problem with this kind of procedure, potentially? Not sure if the US
has a similar law, like the UK where anybody can change his name for no reason!?
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. It has to be a legal process that is done in order to change a name. As long as she goes through a legal court process in the UK, the U.S. should recognize it and she should thus be able to get a U.S. Passport with the new name. She will need to show the legal documentation of the name change, of course. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your answer. When you say "legal court process"... you mean, we just have to do, whatever is legally required here in the UK to change her name, and then the US would accept the resulting documentation, is that what you are saying!?
Correct. It is the principle of comity: Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. Thank you!
Guillermo Senmartin and other US Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great! Many thanks for this!!
You are very welcome! Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!