How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo Senmartin Your Own Question
Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 111964
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Guillermo Senmartin is online now

I am struggling to work out what visa application I need

This answer was rated:

I am struggling to work out what visa application I need to make for the US next year. I am a reborn doll sculptor and artist. I have been advised by the US visa application site to contact an immigration lawyer here.
I am spending about 77 days in the US on holiday and attending 2 International Doll shows. I have been asked to teach a class at both events. (about 10 students each). Each class has a price the students pay to me in the UK before I leave, but effectively I am doing some paid work.
Which visa do I need to apply for?
I was also planning to visit a friend in Canada to run a workshop in her premises. What visa do I need for that?
Hope you can help me as I've drawn a blank so far.
Nikki Johnston
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Those are two different legal systems. This is a U.S. immigration law forum. I can only answer the U.S. part of your question. Is that ok?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think so. I need to know what type of visa the U.S. requires me to have. There seems to be so many different types. It is the issue of running a workshop, one a painting class and one a sculpting class at two different international doll shows (North Carolina & Utah). Each student in the pays to take the class. This will include this cost of materials used plus the tuition. The money is paid in advance to me in the UK. I assume that puts me in the 'getting paid for work' category. The rest of the trip is purely a vacation.
Obviously the sources of the income are from a U.S. source, correct? It doesn't seem to me that your activity fits into a B-1, but let's check. Tell me if you fit into anything in this chart:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It comes under the conference/trade show section. I will have between 40-50 attendees in total of my workshops over the 2 shows. They each pay the set fee for the class, so money will be paid from US citizens to myself. From these fees I have to fund the rental of the room & all equipment used.
The problem is that they would probably interpret you receiving a fee from U.S. Citizens as income from a U.S. based entity. You could try for a B-1, but it is risky. Do you have a potential employer? Perhaps the company that runs the trade show where you will conduct the lecture?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The two shows are separate entities. Each is run by some people as co-owners. They source the venue and advertise for artists/sculptors etc to purchase a stand at the show to display and sell their work. They invite well known artists/sculptors to teach various classes to do with doll making at these shows. They do not pay us to do this, just provide the opportunity. Fees are set by the tutors to cover their costs.
This is the first time I have been invited to take part. I don't know if any other tutors are from outside of the U.S.
The owners of the shows are not employers
Ok. I think the P-3 is the visa that you need. Since they are co-owners, they should petition for you together to get a P-3. Here is an official link: My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Guillermo Senmartin and 2 other US Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Guillermo, the p-3 does seem to fit the bill. I will contact the contact the co-owners as you suggest. I have people I can contact to vouch for my level of expertise.
This has helped me wade through lots of legal stuff I didn't understand. I was so scared I would get stopped when I arrived on US soil for having the wrong visa!
You are very welcome. I am glad I could help. Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!