How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo Senmartin Your Own Question
Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 111562
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Guillermo Senmartin is online now

My British husband spent 4months in jail and takes psychiatric

This answer was rated:

My British husband spent 4months in jail and takes psychiatric meds. Can he travel to the United States, where His wife is from??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He wants to come over on visa for 2months, not live here. His wife will be returning with him. We know that we have to do a marriage visa for me to stay permanently
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Would he be able to prove that he is not a danger to the community in the U.S.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes-what documents does he need
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is traveling to USA to met my family for 1-3months. Then we return to UK. We married in UK October 2014
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do we have to do- he has passport- what else is needed. Please reply
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Guillermo Senmartin- Are we done or what? Please reply
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you were no help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't want live chat- can u give me info
Sorry about the delay. I'm a practicing attorney with my own law firm, so I am not connected all the time. I had to attend to a client when you responded and I wasn't able to get away until now. My apologies. So he just wants to visit for the first trip using an ESTA? And then later immigrate to get U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He just has british passport. Wants to "visit only" for 1-3months. We will live in UK. Will he need documents about jail or psych meds. That's all I need to know
What was he in jail for? What were the charges? And what was the sentence, if any?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
minor infraction disturb peace,nothing serious
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
spent 4months in jail
Ok. He is not supposed to use just his passport. Even using an ESTA is for those that do not have any issues in their background. He should apply for a B-2 tourist visa, be honest about his background, and provide evidence that he is not a danger to the public in the U.S. If they decide he needs it, he could file for a 212(d)(3) waiver which can either be done by the immigration officer at the interview or after just on their computer (take a look at this link):,D,3&url=/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030503.html#M305_3_3_A or on form I-192 which can be found at You can find more information here:,0930-labrie.shtm I hope this helps and sorry again for the delay. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Guillermo Senmartin and other US Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will u email your response:***@******.***