How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Lawyer
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 103491
Experience:  Counselor at Law. Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Ely is online now

Left Florida after car accident in which my fiancé was killed

This answer was rated:

Left Florida after car accident in which my fiancé was killed 6/2/2015
Dui manslaughter has been plea bargained to vehicular homicide with a 27mth sentence
If I return to accept the plea what are my chances of retaining my green card
Also haven't filed tax returns for 10yrs
Have family in Florida but haven't retained my business, bank accounts, credit cards etc
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am going to be honest - probably none. Under current law, the DUI would trigger a removal (deportation) after the sentence is served out. It is highly unlikely ICE would not trigger removal proceedings. Technically, one can argue that removal would cause extreme hardship to a US Citizen, but unless you are married to someone who is a US Citizen and your removal would be an extreme hardship to you (which is not the case, nor can be if you marry while incarcerated but the party lives alone and takes care of herself), then this would not work. Not filing taxes also complicates matters, of course, but the criminal matter controls the situation and already answers the question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Ely and other US Law Specialists are ready to help you