How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Lawyer
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 38
Experience:  Counselor at Law. Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Ely is online now

I am 52 years old and was born in the USA but lived there

Customer Question

Hi. I am 52 years old and was born in the USA but lived there only for 18 months. Both my parents are English and I hold a UK passport. I did hold a US passport when younger but it has expired. I have read (Boris Johnson case) that if we sell our house I will be liable for US taxes on capital gains. I am also concerend that if I take 25% tax free from my pension pot when 55 this may also be open for taxation. I'd like to renounce my nationality but am concerned whether they might go back to when we sold our previous house 12 years ago and tax me on capital gains for that. Also whether it will affect my ability to travel to the US. I earn about £60k so am not top of their list for targeting I believe. regards. Gavin.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies, I am primarily an immigration attorney, not a tax attorney. I will opt out to let another expert chime in. Your account has not been charged. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm happy to wait a little but expect a full refund if you cannot advise in the next few days. Regards Gavin