How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo Senmartin Your Own Question
Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 111563
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Guillermo Senmartin is online now

I would like to find out what my best way to start work in

Customer Question

Hi I would like to find out what my best way to start work in America would be, without getting married to my US girl friend. I'm currently serving in the British army but do due to leave at the end of the year, serving in Britains Elite spear head unit, The Parachute Reg. I don't have any degrees but Before serving I was a fully qualified electrician. What are my chances of getting into the USA, and the path I would need to take. I'm willing to give any job roll a go to get in wether that's close protection or my preferred job of going back to construction. Or is it possible to do an apprenticeship in the USA and get paid, maybe on a different type of visa? Many thanks any advice would be much appreciated.I hope there's some way to make this work, I met my girlfriend when I was working with US forces in fort Bragg 17 months ago. And we really want to live together, before moving on to the next stage. Thank you for taking the time to help me out. Andy Ellis
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Do you have any money to invest? How much?

Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any money to invest? How much?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for getting back to me. Not too sure on money to invest, but I would be coming over with about £25,000 to £30.000 in savings.
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for responding. £30.000 would be roughly a little over $33,000US. That way below the amount needed for a successful investment visa. The problem is that while the law only says, "substantial investment", for the E-2 visa they usually look for around $200,000 or more. Usually attorneys do not take cases of E visas for less than a $200,000 investment because they do not want to risk losing the case and having an upset client because the client has to have the money already invested and at risk and if it is denied, they have to try to sell the business or something to try to recoup their investment.

Here is a link to the E-2 if you want to read more:

If you own a business outside of the U.S. for more than 1 year and will continue to run that business, you can invest $100,000 or more in a U.S. business (doesn't have to be the same business, but must be related by ownership) and you can try for an L-1A visa. Here is a link to that, but keep in mind that both businesses have to be run and should be successful. You can't just come to the U.S. and forget about the business outside and let it die:

For apprenticeships, I see two possibilities, either an H-3 or a J-1. Here are the links:

Be careful with the J-1 visas because many of those require you to go home for 2 years and that doesn't go away even if you marry your U.S. Citizen girlfriend.

And there is also the H-2B worker visa. For an H-2B worker visa, it is expensive and difficult to get because the employer would have to go through an expensive process called a Labor Certification where the position is advertised in the local media, the employer must receive all resumes and eliminate all candidates for valid reasons, not just because they have a job for you. This is to prove that you would not be taking a job away from a U.S. worker. Here is a link:

Also, because they are used up for this year, you will need to apply on April 1, 2017 to start working on October 1, 2017 or later. Here is a link in regards ***** ***** H-2B cap

So there are options, but none of them are really good. You may want to reconsider marrying your U.S. Citizen girlfriend.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 1 year ago.

Hello Andrew. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 1 year ago.

Hello Andrew. Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.