Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
9200179

My wife is not a citizen of U.S. can she be deported even

Customer Question

My wife is not a citizen of U.S. can she be deported even though we are married for last 25 years I'm a citizen born here.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 18 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

If she doesn't have permission to be here, yes, of course she can be deported. How did she enter the U.S.? Illegally or with a visa? Which visa? What country is she from? Please try to answer each question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She has a permanent green card she has had since she’s been here fir past 40 yrs

Ok. If she has a green card, she wouldn't normally be at risk of deportation unless one of the following happens:

1) She is convicted of a serious enough crime.

2) She obtained the green card by fraud.

3) She stays out of the U.S. for too long without a Re-Entry Permit. Usually that is 1 or more years.

So what is going on that you are concerned about this?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
it doesn’t matter that we are married and have been for a long time it’s the the green card that matters right?
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 17 days ago.

The green card is what gives her permission to live in the U.S. As long as she doesn't lose the status, she is not deportable from the U.S.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Do you recommend her getting her citizenship?

Of course. Once she has U.S. Citizenship, it is near impossible to deport her unless she got U.S. Citizenship or Residency through fraud. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 15 days ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!