How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo Senmartin Your Own Question
Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 116875
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Guillermo Senmartin is online now

My wife is not a citizen of U.S. can she be deported even

Customer Question

My wife is not a citizen of U.S. can she be deported even though we are married for last 25 years I'm a citizen born here.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 10 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

If she doesn't have permission to be here, yes, of course she can be deported. How did she enter the U.S.? Illegally or with a visa? Which visa? What country is she from? Please try to answer each question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She has a permanent green card she has had since she’s been here fir past 40 yrs
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 10 months ago.

Ok. If she has a green card, she wouldn't normally be at risk of deportation unless one of the following happens:

1) She is convicted of a serious enough crime.

2) She obtained the green card by fraud.

3) She stays out of the U.S. for too long without a Re-Entry Permit. Usually that is 1 or more years.

So what is going on that you are concerned about this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it doesn’t matter that we are married and have been for a long time it’s the the green card that matters right?
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 10 months ago.

The green card is what gives her permission to live in the U.S. As long as she doesn't lose the status, she is not deportable from the U.S.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you recommend her getting her citizenship?
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 10 months ago.

Of course. Once she has U.S. Citizenship, it is near impossible to deport her unless she got U.S. Citizenship or Residency through fraud. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!