Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
9200179

I am a card holder but i have been out of the US for 9 years

Customer Question

Hi - I am a green card holder but i have been out of the US for 9 years as i have had to care for my father (who has now passed away) and my mother who has Huntington's disease and has lived with me. She is moving into a home so i would like to return to the US. My husband and 2 children are American. Can you let me know what is the best route?
Sarah
Category: US Law
Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 19 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Unfortunately, I believe you have been outside of the U.S. for too long to convince a judge that you did not abandon your green card even though there was a medical reason. You can try for an SB-1 Returning Resident visa and here is a link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/returning-resident.html

But if it is denied, one of your U.S. Citizen children that is over 21 can apply for you to get a new green card status, it will just take about 6 to 9 months to process.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo Senmartin replied 18 days ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!