Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 years of high volume criminal defense work,including all aspects of a case from arraignment to plea or trial.
18321761

Is it an automatic felony to sell stolen goods to a pawn

Customer Question

Is it an automatic felony to sell stolen goods to a pawn shop in Tennessee?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

In Tennessee theft offenses are determined by the value of the property alleged to have been stolen. If the value of the property is over $500, then it would be charged as a felony in Tennessee. The greater the value, the more severe the possible penalty.

$500 - $999 is a class E felony. It's punishable by up to 6 years of prison and a fine of up to $3K

$1,000 - $9,999 is a Class D felony. It's punishable by up to 12 years of prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

$10,000 - $59,000 is a Class C felony. It's punishable by up to 15 years of prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

$60,000 + Class B felony. It's punishable by up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $25,000

Selling stolen goods is an intent crime. By that I mean that the state must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant knew that the goods were stolen when he tried to sell them in order to be convicted of the crime. There's a vast difference in the quality of evidence needed for an arrest versus what is needed for a conviction. So a felony charge might be automatic, but a conviction, less so. Also, charges are frequently reduced for plea bargaining purposes. And prison, though possible, can generally be avoided on the less serious felony offenses of this kind. Probation can typically be negotiated.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 30 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.