Lorens35
Lorens35,
17897874

I am looking for advice from a US Lawyer please? nothing

Customer Question

I am looking for advice from a US Lawyer please?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: nothing yet.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I am from Pakistan but my husband is in USA. I don't know the location as I an not based in US.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We got married in Dec 2016 and all official ceremonies held in December 2018 according to Islamic way. He left me in January but on 2nd May 2019 he said that he wanted to end this relationship without any solid reasons. Although he's involved with a lady and now he hasn't got any status in US but he don't want to leave. I just need a professional advice how to move forward as I still love my husband a lot and can't think of losing him.
Category: US Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for 35 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

You do not need to tell me you do not want a phone call or that email is fine. I will not call you unless you make that specific request.

Expert:  Lorens35 replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, I am sorry to tell you, there is not much you can do to stop your spouse in the US from obtaining a divorce, if that is what he wants to do.

All states allow no-fault divorce. That means a petitioner need not allege any cause or fault in the breakdown of the marriage, other than a desire to no longer be married and, in most cases, a period of separation.

If you are not in the US he can serve you by publication and proceed to a decree of dissolution without any further input from you.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

I am happy to continue if you have follow-up questions about this, but if you are satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Expert:  Lorens35 replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if I have answered your question. Your satisfaction with my service to you is important to me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would that mean he can divorce without any marriage certificate as he hasn't got any of my documents with him at the minute and he's keep asking for those? Also he hasn't got visa any more as he need to reinstate his student visa due to his Sevis Id and i20 got terminated from college he was studying. and he hasn't got admission in any other college yet. He's involved with a 49 years old US lady although he's only 29 and i guess this is for getting green card as well. Is there any way I can report to US immigration department about his cheating to me as if he can cheat me, he can cheat anyone else too?
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for following up with me.
If the marriage is recognized as legal in the country where performed, then it will, with few exceptions, likely be recognized as legal in the US. He would not have to produce a marriage certificate to file for divorce. He would only need to allege under oath the marriage took place.
Infidelity is not illegal, per se, in the US.
Again, I am sorry to be the bearer of less than favorable news.I am happy to continue if you have follow-up questions about this, but if you are satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what would be the case with his status? if he get married to tha lady I mentioned above can he get the legal status straight away?
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 2 months ago.
Legal status for what?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he lost his student visa status and he need to reinstate this which is not happened yet. can he get the legal rights to stay in US if he marry to someone?
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 2 months ago.
He could, theoretically, stay up to another year legally by converting to a visitors visa.
If he marries he may qualify for legal permanent resident status and a green card. The following link describes the process.
https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/how-adjust-status-permanent-resident-after-marriage-citizen.htmlPlease remember that site rules require you open a new thread to ask a new question, rather than append it to a question which was already answered.
We experts are not employees of JA.
Thank you for understanding.
Expert:  Lorens35 replied 2 months ago.