How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Senior Associate Solicitor
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 7023
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your US Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have a US based e-commerce business and want to know the

This answer was rated:

I have a US based e-commerce business and want to know the rules to be able to sell to customers based in the UK.
JA: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: Ohio and yes. They know state law, not international law I need to know what the UK law is.
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: not in the uk. I dont know what to file, if anything
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no. I think I have indicated what I am looking for thank you
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you.

If you sell online and it is to the UK customer base then the Consumer Rights Act 2015 will apply - as you sell online they will automatically have a 14 day cooling-off period so this means they can change their mind (for any reason) and expect a refund.

They will also have further rights even after the 14 day period, specifically that the product or service must be "as described", "fit for purpose", and of "reasonable quality" (if this is a product).

You will also need to have a GDPR notice which deals with the customer's data, in other words, to comply with the current data protection law (General Data Protection Regulations). You only need a notice on your website to deal with "GDPR" and there are templates available so that you can ensure your business complies with this.

You should have terms and conditions to trade - they should be fair and not inherently unreasonable. For example, if you said "no returns", or "no refunds", this would be in breach of the cooling-off period which allows UK customers the 14 day cooling-off period.

I can't think of anything else which would be vital here. It would be those two issues so you do not fall foul of UK laws.

I hope this answers your question – if so could you please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, that will give me a rating on the site and I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer, Senior Associate Solicitor
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 7023
Experience: Senior Associate Solicitor
JimLawyer and 2 other US Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what about sales tax/VAT collection and remittance?

This link may assist:

Although tax is not my area - if you submit a new question on the site it will not cost any more (if you are a member) and a tax lawyer can assist you with that particular question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you