How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo Senmartin Your Own Question
Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 134978
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Guillermo Senmartin is online now

Can I book an appointment to speak to someone regarding a

This answer was rated:

Can I book an appointment to speak to someone regarding a move to the USA?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I haven’t done anything yet, I need advice first. I’m a UK citizen
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don’t think so

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 17 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. If I disappear for a few minutes, I have not gone away and I promise I will be back as soon as I can. You see I don't work in a call center, I work in my own legal practice. I'm a real, live lawyer and I assist multiple customers at the same time and something can come up that I need to attend to urgently. I am not ignoring you. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you. I understand you might get a prompt asking if you want to work with another expert, but just ignore it. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Thank you for your understanding.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the answer is not good news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

There are generally 5 avenues to obtain U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. They are through family, through employment, through Asylum or refugee process, through investment, or through the lottery.

For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help you, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so.

Through employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to do.

Through Asylum or Refugee process, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured or killed if you stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.

Through investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or $500,000.00 in an area designated as a high-employment area, plus in both cases the investment has to create 10 or more jobs for U.S. workers.

And through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year and some countries do not qualify.

Here is a link to the different forms to get a green card:

Then there are some visas available where you can stay temporarily and then later change to Lawful Permanent Residency if you qualify.

Some of the visas available through employment (if you have a job offer and you qualify) are:

H-1B for professional workers
H-2A for seasonal agricultural workers
H-2B for seasonal nonagricultural workers
H-3 for industrial trainees

Then there are the F-1 and M-1 for students and J-1 for exchange visitors.

And then there is the E-1 for treaty traders and E-2 for treaty investors (these types of visas are not available in all countries).

Here is a link to most of the available visas:

So which do you think you qualify for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably to stay temporarily then apply again

Ok, but which one do you think you qualify for and what questions do you have for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure that’s why I contacted you

And that's why I gave you the options so you could read through because you would know your situation better than I. But I guess we will try it another way. What level of education do you have? What citizenships do you hold? Do you have money to invest? How much?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I Have no money to invest but I have enough money to hold me over

That's not going to work. What level of education do you have?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

What level of education do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had a full British education. I’m a fully qualified hairdresser and I’m a social care support worker for adults with complex needs and severe learning difficulties

Ok. But do you have the equivalent to a 4 year U.S. bachelors degree?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don’t

Well, you can try for an H-2B worker visa. For an H-2B worker visa, it is expensive and difficult to get because the employer would have to go through an expensive process called a Labor Certification where the position is advertised in the local media, the employer must receive all resumes and eliminate all candidates for valid reasons, not just because they have a job for you. This is to prove that you would not be taking a job away from a U.S. worker. Here is a link:

Or you could look for a J-1 program that fits your needs. Here is a link to that:

So there are options, but no easy ones.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. IF you still do not see the stars, at least leave me a message that says that you are satisfied with my service to you, something like, "THANK YOU!" should suffice. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome, but PLEASE do not forget to rate me positively or at least leave a "thank you" so that I can get credit for my assistance to you. You can leave a positive rating by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You may have to scroll up to the top of the page to see the stars/smiley faces. If you don't see them because perhaps you are using the mobile app, then try clicking on my name and they should come out. Since I am NOT given a salary, it is the only way the website will compensate me. You are NOT charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. Thank you!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If it did, please at least let me know by leaving me a brief message saying that it helped and you are satisfied with my service to you, like just write, "Thank you!". Thank you for you understanding!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. All you had to do was say "Thank you!" to me and all would have been OK. It doesn't cost you anything extra to do so. Good luck to you anyway.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please explain why £40 has been taken from my bank account when I only requested the £5 7 day offer?

Yes, I will, if you can explain to me why I have asked you a number of times to leave me a positive rating and you have not done so and you have even ignored my last few messages.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did leave you leave 2 positive ratings already

The positive rating has not gone through. I believe after you click on 3 or more stars, you also have to click submit.

Guillermo Senmartin and other US Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still want my £40 credited back to my bank account please

And what about me? I am only paid from a small part of your deposit. If you ask for a full refund, I get $0. This is not a free service. It is £5 to ask a question and if an expert such as myself responds, it is an additional £35 or so for a total of around £40. For this minimal amount you get to communicate with a licensed and experienced attorney such as myself from the comfort of your own home or office without having to make an appointment, miss time from work, park, and wait who knows how long in a waiting room. Obviously you have already been charged this fee. Do you think it's reasonable to get all of which you got for £5? Please let's be reasonable here. No one is trying to cheat you, but my time and effort is worth something, don't you think?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don’t, I was told it would be £5 so I never agreed to paying £ 40. Please just refund the £40 back into my account please

Who's going to refund my time? And can you delete from your memory the valuable information that I provided you? I think you are being very unfair. Luckily, I don't control payments and refunds. So nothing I can do for you.