How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo Senmartin Your Own Question
Guillermo Senmartin
Guillermo Senmartin, Attorney At Law
Category: US Law
Satisfied Customers: 139322
Experience:  Over 12+ years of experience in various areas of U.S. Law and 15+ years of experience in U.S. Immigration Law..
Type Your US Law Question Here...
Guillermo Senmartin is online now

I am a current green card holder, but currently in the UK.

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I am a current green card holder, but currently in the UK. I'm due to go back toe the US in the next few weeks to take up a new position but have found out that my estranged wife, unbeknown to me, has surrendered my green card in order to stop me leaving. What can I do to rectify this?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I'm british, will be living in the US once i'm back
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I check if anyone is actually looking at this question as it's been several hours since i posted it and no response?

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 17 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. If I disappear for a few minutes, I have not gone away and I promise I will be back as soon as I can. You see I don't work in a call center, I work in my own legal practice. I'm a real, live lawyer and I assist multiple customers at the same time and something can come up that I need to attend to urgently. I am not ignoring you. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you. I understand you might get a prompt asking if you want to work with another expert, but just ignore it. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Thank you for your understanding.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the answer is not good news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Well, you may have inadvertently abandoned it anyway. How long have you been outside of the U.S. without coming back? Do you have a Re-Entry Permit? How did you get your green card originally? And what did your spouse do to "surrender" it? She would have had to forge your signature on an I-407, most likely.

Guillermo Senmartin and 2 other US Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Guillermo. I have been out of the US for nearly 3 months while i underwent training on my new job and also tried to sort out some of my marital issues.I originally got my green card through my previous employer. I entered the US in 2014 on a L-1 visa and about a year later applied for the green card, it's valid until 2026. I have assumed that my wife completed a I-407, maybe stating that I had lost my green card (as i still have it), and yes i also assume she must have forged my signature.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!